Golden Plover

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

User avatar
Ron Eagle Elk
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:33 am
Location: Carmel, Maine

Golden Plover

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 pm

I know there is a long waiting list from Cookshill for a Plover pelt, but his price is reasonable. Anyone know what a buy it now price would be on one of similar quality?
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
User avatar
letumgo
Site Admin
Posts: 11700
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York
Contact:

Re: Golden Plover

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm

I think I paid around $65 for a GP a few years ago. Can’t remember if that included shipping.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
RickA
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Hancock NY

Re: Golden Plover

Post by RickA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I was on the Cookskill list for a long time.
I found a whole G plover skin listed on FeathersMc for 80 smackers and pulled the trigger.
It went into the freezer before I even opened it and when I did, it had been infested before I got it.
Not a happy camper...

Go with Cookskill but don't hold your breath.
User avatar
ForumGhillie
Site Admin
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Cheesehead
Contact:

Re: Golden Plover

Post by ForumGhillie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 pm

I bought my GP about two winters ago from Cookshill for around $38.00, if my memory is correct.
zen leecher
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

Re: Golden Plover

Post by zen leecher » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:37 pm

I had some dyed sharptail grouse from Blue Ribbon Flies that's close.
Last edited by zen leecher on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Golden Plover

Post by Theroe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 pm I know there is a long waiting list from Cookshill for a Plover pelt, but his price is reasonable. Anyone know what a buy it now price would be on one of similar quality?
REE - Jim Slattery might have one, its worth a call at least. Unfortunately, I have had the same experience as RickA........few things are worse than buying an infested skin or hide. I did find a sure fire way to kill all bugs (safely): dog flea and tick collar.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
User avatar
ForumGhillie
Site Admin
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Cheesehead
Contact:

Re: Golden Plover

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 am

Theroe wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 pm I know there is a long waiting list from Cookshill for a Plover pelt, but his price is reasonable. Anyone know what a buy it now price would be on one of similar quality?
REE - Jim Slattery might have one, its worth a call at least. Unfortunately, I have had the same experience as RickA........few things are worse than buying an infested skin or hide. I did find a sure fire way to kill all bugs (safely): dog flea and tick collar.

Dana
Jim does not have any, I was just there with Jim & Wendie. Also, he told me he cannot sell Cookshill while in the Gallatin National Forest.

Yup, I agree... flea & tick collars do work.
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Golden Plover

Post by Theroe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:12 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 am
Theroe wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 pm I know there is a long waiting list from Cookshill for a Plover pelt, but his price is reasonable. Anyone know what a buy it now price would be on one of similar quality?
REE - Jim Slattery might have one, its worth a call at least. Unfortunately, I have had the same experience as RickA........few things are worse than buying an infested skin or hide. I did find a sure fire way to kill all bugs (safely): dog flea and tick collar.

Dana
Jim does not have any, I was just there with Jim & Wendie. Also, he told me he cannot sell Cookshill while in the Gallatin National Forest.

Yup, I agree... flea & tick collars do work.
Might be worth a new thread......"Safe Material Storage"
Soft and wet - the only way....
User avatar
Ron Eagle Elk
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:33 am
Location: Carmel, Maine

Re: Golden Plover

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks for all the replies. It's not that I need one, it's that I have one from Cookshill, along with two wings, also from Cookshill. My problem is, I have never pulled a feather from the pelt, I've always tied from the wings I have. I'm 74, almost 75, and I'll probably never use the feathers. I'm trying to decide what to do with it.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
User avatar
letumgo
Site Admin
Posts: 11700
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York
Contact:

Re: Golden Plover

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Let me know if you decide to sell it. I’d be interested.

Wings or no wings. GP is hard to come by...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Post Reply