Safe Material Storage

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Updtate

Re: Safe Material Storage

Post by Updtate » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 pm

I have been using for about 15 years now what Walt Dette used and have had no problems whatsoever. Simply whole cloves. They have a pleasant aroma and have proven to be very satisfactory!

Tom
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:33 pm

I remember seeing cloves in the fly boxes at the Dette fly shop, when I first went to Roscoe. Surprised at the time, so I asked about them. Mary told me they were used to keep bugs away.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 am

We can’t buy naphthalene products here in NZ anymore. ( Moth balls or flakes for eg) They are banned due to toxicity issues...

Solution: The cat or dog flea collars. Cut them into little portions and put in yr storage boxes.

Done that for years and they work just fine.....
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. As for this:
Updtate wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 pm I have been using for about 15 years now what Walt Dette used and have had no problems whatsoever. Simply whole cloves. They have a pleasant aroma and have proven to be very satisfactory!
I suppose they might be a deterrent, but with the caveat that they make the fly hop smell like a wassailing party. The thing is, I want to KILL the bugs. Not just deter them. I suppose Walt himself might have preferred to use neurotoxins over little aromatic bulbs, were they available in the convenient form of a flea collar.

I am hoping the illustrious retired Prof. Dr. Anderson will weigh in here--his is the voice of scientific reason and experience. Also, as moth balls--euuch, I am glad New Zealand is taking care of its populace and banning them.

bb
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 am

I received a wild Partridge skin in the mail yesterday. I purchased it from a fellow that runs a wet fly page on FB. I must say he did a fantastic job preserving it. The feathers are in outstanding shape. There was a little crud on the right side of the pelt. It may have been dried blood, but I do not know for sure. It was a spot the size of a quarter. It washed right out with a wet paper towel. I would consider this skin pest free after a close inspection. Still...........

Like all fur pelts, bird capes and/or saddles I receive, the Partridge was placed in a zip lock bag, sprinkled with Sevin Garden Dust, sealed up and placed in the freezer. It will be taken out of the freezer in 2 weeks, allowed to remain thawed for two days, then frozen again for two weeks.

I will not try to persuade anyone to use Sevin Dust. In todays Organic society, it has a bad reputation. Even though, for decades this product was used as a poultry delouser, and used on pets bedding to get rid of the fleas off of Fido.

After that regiment, the neck will be placed in a drawer with my other hackles and feathers, with a Hot Shot Pest Strip. Plus sprinked with Sevin Dust a couple times per year.

I learned the hard way many years ago how expensive it is to lose your fly tying material to bugs. It will not happen again.

By the way. I live in Western Colorado where the average humidity is about 20%, Very low. Critters invade your materials with just as much gusto in the desert and at high altitude (5,000 feet) as they do anywhere else.

I may try the clove trick though. Along side my pesticide regiment.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:22 pm

I throw a few Bounce fabric softener sheets in my Rubbermaid storage boxes. Also put them in a bunch of places in my old VW Beetle when I store it for the winter.

Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:09 pm

I have (more than) a few raw skins that I treated with borax. The bugs seem to avoid those skins while being boraxed. A light washing (leaving the skin mostly dry) afterwards gives great results. I've kept a number of these skins for years without further treatment. Nevertheless, for items that are particularly valuable (golden plover) I don't take any chances.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:51 pm

DUBBN wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 am
I will not try to persuade anyone to use Sevin Dust. In todays Organic society, it has a bad reputation. Even though, for decades this product was used as a poultry delouser, and used on pets bedding to get rid of the fleas off of Fido.

After that regiment, the neck will be placed in a drawer with my other hackles and feathers, with a Hot Shot Pest Strip. Plus sprinked with Sevin Dust a couple times per year.
I'm trying to emphasize "safe material storage" in this thread--finding a balance between insect toxicity and human (and pet) safety. Sevin has a reputation for harming humans that far exceeds "today's Organic society." The main ingredient--carbaryl --is illegal in the United Kingdom, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany. If the USA had a sensible FDA and EPA, it would be illegal here too.

Using it indoors--in a dust form, which can be inhaled--is pretty risky. There's plenty of information in the form of MDS sheets that make this clear. It's your life and your hackle, but I think there are safer and more prudent solutions for protecting our tying materials.

bb
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm

bearbutt wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:51 pm
DUBBN wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 am

I'm trying to emphasize "safe material storage" in this thread--finding a balance between insect toxicity and human (and pet) safety. Sevin has a reputation for harming humans that far exceeds "today's Organic society." The main ingredient--carbaryl --is illegal in the United Kingdom, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany. If the USA had a sensible FDA and EPA, it would be illegal here too.

Using it indoors--in a dust form, which can be inhaled--is pretty risky. There's plenty of information in the form of MDS sheets that make this clear. It's your life and your hackle, but I think there are safer and more prudent solutions for protecting our tying materials.

bb

Thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

I can not force you to be correct.

Organic is raising food for tens, on ground that can feed thousands.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:35 pm

While a household product works for me; this is what pros use:

https://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=1196