Seta Bozzolo 24wt Silk Thread

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Seta Bozzolo 24wt Silk Thread

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Hey Folks,

I have become intrigued by the Valsesiana style of wet flies and would like to do them justice, apart from tying them in hand. My old friend Arthur Itis keeps me from doing that, even though I attempted a couple of size 12's. (We won't talk about those.)

Game bird feathers are used primarily, no domestic or farmed feathers. Fortunately, I have a pretty good selection of those.

The bodies are tied with Seta Bozzolo Italian embroidery silk, after splitting it to a single strand. I can't seem to find any no matter where I search. I did locate one place on Etsy that had four usable colors for $7 a spool. I almost ordered them, but $21 to ship four spools of thread seemed a bit high.

Anybody who knows where to source this fancy Italian silk, please let me know.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
davidriley

Re: Seta Bozzolo 24wt Silk Thread

Post by davidriley » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:11 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:53 pm Hey Folks,

I have become intrigued by the Valsesiana style of wet flies and would like to do them justice, apart from tying them in hand. My old friend Arthur Itis keeps me from doing that, even though I attempted a couple of size 12's. (We won't talk about those.)

Game bird feathers are used primarily, no domestic or farmed feathers. Fortunately, I have a pretty good selection of those.

The bodies are tied with Seta Bozzolo Italian embroidery silk, after splitting it to a single strand. I can't seem to find any no matter where I search. I did locate one place on Etsy that had four usable colors for $7 a spool. I almost ordered them, but $21 to ship four spools of thread seemed a bit high.

Anybody who knows where to source this fancy Italian silk, please let me know.
Hi Ron
Sounds an interesting venture.
I just looked on my search engine and found these links

https://www.themakery.shop/italian-silk ... hread.html

https://www.sewcurvy.com/corsetmakingsu ... hread.html

Hope they are of some use.
Looking forward to seeing the end result.
David
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks, David,

The Makery Shop lists all colors as out of stock. I'll have to explore the other site to see if they carry it. The Bozzolo silk is stranded like embroidery floss, so it's not a simple thread. I've done a couple with Pearsall's, but it lacks the look of the Bozzolo Seta Reale. It will be just my luck that Bozzolo is out of business.

I think I have some Pearsall's button hole twist that I have to dig out of it's hiding spot and give that a try.

Thanks for the effort.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:36 am

Hi Ron - I have some Chinese silk that's packaged like the Italian stuff, however it is smaller diameter. It looks more like Persalls Naples. Long story how I got it, but it is packed in cellophane in various colors. If you want a look at it, PM me your email and I will send a photo. All the writing is in Chinese, so I have no idea of its original purpose, definitely not as heavy as embroidery thread, however. It's free if it's of use to you.
I tried to post the picture here, and it didn't work. Just thought of a different way, so I'll try again.
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:40 am

IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG (171.16 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks, Guys. Variant let me know about Hamels Fabrics this morning. They do have it in stock, in lots of colors. Tried to order through their web site and it wouldn't let me finish the order. I'll be calling on Monday. Appreciate everyone's efforts. For some reason, my google search didn't mention Hamels. It did suggest several corset shops though, so there's that.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:38 am

If I don't get out of the kitchen soon, I'm going to need a corset. 'Cooking through the pandemic' isn't just an idea, it's become a bad habit.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:00 pm

REE

I have a bunch of Gutterman Silk, which looks very close to the size and color what you need. I’ll send some pictures tomorrow when I’m back on the tying room.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:00 pm

What Dana said. I've got a bunch of the Gutterman's, too; looks very similar.