Button Hole Sub (S-Lon Bead Cord)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Button Hole Sub (S-Lon Bead Cord)

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 am

A few weeks ago I came across an assortment of colored cord which looks like it will make a nice substitute for button hole twist thread. The material is bead cord, by S-Lon Bead Smith. I found a set of colors on Amazon ($15 bucks for 12 colored spools) and figured I'd give them a try. The cord comes in a nice little tube organizer.

The cord is somewhat flat, rather than round, so it makes a nice rib material. If you want it round, just twist it up with a pair of hackle pliers.

It also seems to be lightly waxed, because it stays attached to the other thread in the spool, rather than uncoiling into a mess.

I really like the mix of colors in this set (SLD-MIX1), since they all looked very useful for various insect patterns. S-Lon has two other sets (one mostly shades of green and one with lots of blue shades). Figure I will give these a try and if they are useful, might invest in the other colors at some point in the future.

Anyway, just wanted to share a new material find. You'll probably notice this stuff showing up on some of my fly patterns in the future.

Notice how the thread clings to the thread in the spool. It seems to be waxed, keeping it from tangling.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wsbailey

Re: Button Hole Sub (S-Lon Bead Cord)

Post by wsbailey » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 am

Ray, interesting find! I know you’ll tie some great flies with it. I looked up the material up and see that it is bonded nylon.

https://topcenter.typepad.com/blog/2014 ... -cord.html
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 pm

8-) That will tie 1 0r 2 flies! ;) :D
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:26 pm

I'm really digging the colors; interesting find. Thanks...