Head Cement; I need a New Source

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Head Cement; I need a New Source

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 pm

I've been using head cement from Hook and Hackle (H&H) for a long time. It looks
good and lasts a long time in the bottle without becoming too thick. I have about
60% of a bottle left. Unfortunately, H&H is no longer selling fly tying material
(just rod-building stuff), so I need a new source.

Who can recommend a head cement they really, really like?

Thanks- Ken
DUBBN

Re: Head Cement; I need a New Source

Post by DUBBN » Tue May 18, 2021 5:09 pm

If I was going to use head cement, I think I would go this route

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue May 18, 2021 6:58 pm

After decades of different head cements my regular choice is Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails in an applicator bottle.

Easy to find and thin to the consistency you want. You can keep a thin and thick bottle if you want, or use the brush in the original bottle for big jobs.

Keep the cement level where you want it to get the right size drop to apply. The inside plastic seal keeps the fumes to a minimum while you tie.

ImageRIMG1606 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

As Dave McNeese says, they spent millions developing it, so why not use it! ;)
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue May 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Bunch of them out there, new and old. This is my shortlist:

I'm partial to Cellire--nothing quite like it. Some sellers in Europe will ship to the US, and I'd suggest that's a good way to go--6 bottles, a bottle of Unitit thinner, and Veniard's Liquid Wax--and you'll be ready for the next decade.

bb
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue May 18, 2021 10:17 pm

I've been usig this for many years, ever since I saw Oliver Edwards using it in his videos.

Bob
Attachments
Fly-Tie Head Cement.jpg
Fly-Tie Head Cement.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed May 19, 2021 5:23 am

Shellac is fun stuff to play with. Thin it out with denatured alcohol; makes me feel a certain level of emotional attachment when I change varnish consistencies.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed May 19, 2021 6:57 am

I'm not sure who told me about it, possibly Al Beatty, but for years I used Min-Wax water based polyurethane. Goes on white so you can see where it is, then dries clear with your finish of choice, gloss, semi-gloss or flat. Soaks into the threads well, fairly quick drying and UV resistant. I was a fan until I found UV resins.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am

I struggled with this problem last winter. There are many good cements .today that are compatible with todays modern synthetic threads. But these cements all seem to darken real silk thread. Even good old marine spar varnish slightly darkens silk. Griff thin was the best as it did not change the colors.
but no longer available. After much experimentation I found that thinned out Sally Hansen did not discolor real silk. Also I use to use cellire to have a shiny head such as is found on Salmon Flies and was starting to run out after 25 years. I found Sally Hansen Mega Shine to work just as well and easier to apply. (less coats).

Tom
supersenior

Post by supersenior » Wed May 19, 2021 8:55 am

IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG (41.32 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
I've been using Minwax Polycrylic as a head cement for 20 years.
Life time supply for a couple of dollars at Home Depot.
Forgot to add, this is very similar in color, texture and smell to Loon Outdoors water based head cement.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 pm

After years and years of using everything under the sun, I now just use clear nail varnish. No particular brand. Just what’s on special down at the chemist. Never had issues with any yet......