Dubbing block ?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NightWatchman

Dubbing block ?

Post by NightWatchman » Mon May 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Can anyone recommend to me where I can purchase a dubbing block ? Thanks.
FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Dubbing block ?

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:30 pm

From William Anderson on this Forum. Here is an old post about the 1 I purchased:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8414&hilit=dubbing+block

Tight Lines- Ken
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks Ken. I sent William a msg.

Pat B.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 am

Pat - Let me know if you have difficulty getting hold of William. I can help contact him.

His dubbing blocks are really nice. I’ve used them for mand years now.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 pm

So to continue on this subject. Do most of the members here believe that a body spun separately on a block
gives the fly a larger appeal to both the tier and the fish ?
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed May 26, 2021 7:25 pm

NightWatchman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 pm So to continue on this subject. Do most of the members here believe that a body spun separately on a block
gives the fly a larger appeal to both the tier and the fish ?
I am one of the few that doesn't believe in the qualities of the dubbing block. I feel it is an unnecessary step. In my opinion the split thread technique is a better option.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Well, I know it works for me. I have no idea what trout think of my offerings and I never will. What I do know is that I love history; I love reading the writings of Leisenring and Hidy and I find that their words speak to me. I fish, most of the time, with a fly that is made with a body spun on a block. I've tried the whole pants thing like Bill Shuck tried to teach us, and I gave it a go..., but I definitely prefer the block. Wayne likes using a loop, I actually like the added steps in using the block. Wayne ties are wonderful..., so there you go. Whatever floats your boat and pumps the sunshine up your tookus.

What I believe lives entirely in my head. Fishing is a confidence game; you'll always fish better with a pattern you believe in (last night is proof of that).

I just really enjoy working with dubbing and silk; the fish, they're a bonus. There is talent running lose around here that could make the Sistine Chapel out of feathers if they so desired. Give them a spinning block and watch out...
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed May 26, 2021 8:01 pm

Mike,
Interesting take on soft-hackles and the different ways to dub! Bill gave us all a thrill one evening in Roscoe when he grabbed the tag ends of the silk (loaded with fur) and let the block hang down and spun it! It worked well to our astonishment! He was an inventor and this off the cuff moment thrilled everyone!
Our own William Anderson is the master of this art! I have never seen anyone spin dubbing on silk like our pal William! Such precision and control! A true American Master!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:19 pm

I received my dubbing block yesterday and it’s a handsome piece of work. I’m sure I’ll be fumbling for awhile but
i’ll let you know how I’m doing.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 am

There are a couple posts in the tutorial section that show the process. Pretty simple.

Have fun! ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean