“Summer on the Test”

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NightWatchman

“Summer on the Test”

Post by NightWatchman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:59 pm

Has anyone read this book and can offer an opinion if it’s a good read ?

Thanks
Mike62

Re: “Summer on the Test”

Post by Mike62 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:13 am

I think it's a great read. Hills does a wonderful job describing fly fishing in the late 19th, early 20th century. My paperback copy has been thumbed to death, literally, it's in pieces.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Amazon has the Audible version available for $7 bucks. I will probably download it and listen to it over the summer. I used to listen to audio books during my commute (45 min each way), but have gotten away from it over the past year (working from home).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 pm

This book, in my opinion, is one of the best in fly fishing literature! Masterfully written!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Doug - I read your review and immediately bought the audio book version. Thanks for the push. :D ;)

Once again, this site makes me richer (in knowledge) and poorer (financially) at the same. At this rate I may become the smartest pauper you’ll ever met. :shock: :lol:

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:18 am Thanks for the suggestion. Amazon has the Audible version available for $7 bucks. I will probably download it and listen to it over the summer. I used to listen to audio books during my commute (45 min each way), but have gotten away from it over the past year (working from home).
Ray - I just can’t get in the groove of audio, or digital books...... for me, reading is not the just the visual intake of information, rather it’s the whole experience: sitting in my favorite chair, by the window, holding the volume in my hands and turning the pages. It’s all part of it....
Soft and wet - the only way....
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:39 pm

Dana - I completely understand and am in full agreement with you. The digital versions are generally my second choice, but I’m slowly warming up to them. Lately if a book is good enough, I get both copies print and the cheaper digital twin. I find when I’m looking for something specific, the digital version wins out. Just so easy to find a specific reference, or obscure bit of information. If you’re careful when ordering paper copies from Amazon, you can often add the digital copy (or Audio version) for less then ten bucks. Working from home the last year has allowed me to periodically buy books, instead of gas. :D

NightWatchman

Re: “Summer on the Test”Ile

Post by NightWatchman » Wed May 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen. Looks worthwhile to get a hold of. I’m with you Dana about books. I much prefer holding something that has a soul.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 am

I just ordered a copy of the book from Amazon. I downloaded and read the pdf of this book several years ago. Since then I have been looking for a reasonably priced printed book. I also prefer a printed book over a digital copy when I can afford it. I found one on Amazon for $10, in very good condition so I jumped on it. Should be here Wednesday.
Greg
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:15 pm

One of the true gems of fly fishing literature.

My preference for spring creeks has resulted in a pretty good collection of English chalk stream authors.

Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene is another that should not be missed, as well as anything by CF Walker.
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach