Orange Otter

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Orange Otter

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am

My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

It's an interesting biography and a "portrait of Welsh Border fishing and its main characters," including the dresssings of a professional trout fisherman named Dai Lewis. After reading Orange Otter and tying several of the Reverend's dressings, I also purchased Mac Morgan's book on Welsh trout and salmon flies.

Interesting books from the past and how soft hackle hen feathers were used to dress both wet and dry flies.

Bob
Variant

Re: Orange Otter

Post by Variant » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:44 am

I also enjoyed reading both books.
Morgan’s book is full of great patterns

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm

joaniebo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

It's an interesting biography and a "portrait of Welsh Border fishing and its main characters," including the dresssings of a professional trout fisherman named Dai Lewis. After reading Orange Otter and tying several of the Reverend's dressings, I also purchased Mac Morgan's book on Welsh trout and salmon flies.

Interesting books from the past and how soft hackle hen feathers were used to dress both wet and dry flies.

Bob
Can you remember some of the reverands dressings?
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:49 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm
joaniebo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am My memory isn't perfect, so I might have posted something in the past about the book called "ORANGE OTTER" written by Christopher Knowles. The book details the life, fishing and fly tying of Rev. Edward Powell of Munslow, Shropshire. I believe that the Reverend caught so many trout that he was sometimes banned from certain waters and oftentimes "fed his flock" with his catches.

Bob
Can you remember some of the reverands dressings?
Attachments
Rev Edward Powell Article.pdf
(1004.94 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

I managed to find Moc Morgan's book at a reasonable price, even with shipping from the UK. Orange Otter is a bit out of my price range at the present. Maybe next month.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
novabass

Post by novabass » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:23 pm

-deleted
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:58 am

Just ordered Orange Otter thru Mendlar Press, with shipping about $53. The cheapest price I found with earlier searches was $120 plus shipping. A little out of my price range. Got an email from them yesterday and this book was recommended by them. I'm on their email list, waiting for Angling Giants to be printed sgain.
Greg
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:17 am

jcwillow777 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:58 am Just ordered Orange Otter thru Mendlar Press, with shipping about $53. The cheapest price I found with earlier searches was $120 plus shipping. A little out of my price range. Got an email from them yesterday and this book was recommended by them. I'm on their email list, waiting for Angling Giants to be printed sgain.
Greg

Hope you enjoy the book as much as I have. Great stories of the Reverend Powell and his ability too catch so many trout that he often shared his catch with "his flock". He might have been banned from some waters due to how many fish he caught in a day. Chris Knowles' writings, pictures and dressings are great ! No doubt, you will soon be ting some Orane Oteers, Paragons, Squashed Beetles, etc. I love the way the SB looks!
Attachments
Powell's Squashed Beetle.jpg
Powell's Squashed Beetle.jpg (123.55 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:27 pm

I finally gave in. Ken Callahan just got a copy for me from England. I paid too much, more than I've ever paid for a book before. I have a cousin who lives in England and has fishing privileges to some nice water; he said, "Buy it!" ...and so I did. The most I ever paid for a book before was $75.00 for a primo 1st edition copy of 'Partridge Shortenin', by Gorham Cross.

Now, if a good copy of 'The Henryville Flyfishers' shows up at an affordable price...
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:32 pm

Greg, Thanks for the tip on Medlar Press. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the leather covered editions, but I settled for a cloth covered book for about $50 including shipping.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"