Fly Tying Tools

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Re: Fly Tying Tools

Post by Johnno » Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 am

wsbailey wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 am
I recently bought some Tenkara hooks. The shape reminded me of the English bait hook which Gary Borger used for his Fur Caddis Larva fly. It occurred to me that Tenkara rods are similar to the loop rod. I wonder if the Japanese were influenced by British fishermen.
Probably the other way around! Tenkara is probably older than Walton.
Flyfishing is an ancient art in the Orient. Even beads were being used by them on flies wayyy before Europeans did. My father was in J Force after WW2 in Japan and used local glass beaded flies for trout in the mountains there and he was told they were centuries old..
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri May 17, 2019 12:20 pm

IMG_3441.JPG
jeweler's vice
IMG_3441.JPG (342.85 KiB) Viewed 363 times
My father-in-law was a jeweler and did a lot of custom, hand engraving on jewelry and gun stocks. I inherited his old Ball vice when he passed and have tried to find ways to use it, but enjoy just having it and thinking about him. We spent many days on the water and in the field together.
The mention of jeweler's vices in one of the replies to your question prompted me to dig it out. I tried to figure out a way to use it in fly tying, but without the full set of implements, I never came up with any use other than a dandy paperweight.
Sorry the image is skewed. I'm sure one of you can fix that.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri May 17, 2019 2:07 pm

That is a very robust piece of equipment. I very much enjoy specialized tools like this one. I have a very small toolmakers vice with incredribly close tolerances regarding parallelism (0,002 mm in 80mm) and angles. I don't need these qualities but I admire those who have made it.

dd
swellcat

Re: RonR's Vise

Post by swellcat » Sat May 18, 2019 6:19 am

jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 pm

Great post! Thanks for the historical download John. I just ordered another book, The Fly Fisher's Craft. I would have never heard of many of the books I have purchased in the past year and a half had it not been for members on this forum, particularly John. Edit - I just ordered Practical Fly-Tying by T. R. Henn. My collection is growing, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to many member's libraries. Keep those book recommendations coming!
Last edited by jcwillow777 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:24 am

That's a good one for sure. Many years ago I took Darrell Martin's day long Antique Angler class at the FFI conclave. He covered most of what was in the book including a lot of hands on projects from the book.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com