"Marryat - Prince of Fly Fishers" by Terry Lawton

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

"Marryat - Prince of Fly Fishers" by Terry Lawton

Post by letumgo » Sun May 01, 2022 8:09 am

I've had this book on my Amazon wishlist for quite some time, but at $85 dollars I held off buying it. Recently a used copy became available for only $15 dollars. At this price, I "had" to buy it. It took a couple weeks to make the journey across the Atlantic (UK seller), but yesterday the book arrived. The thin black plastic bag (no protection) was beat-up when it arrived, so I was expecting the book to be battered by the journey. Fortunately it was not damaged. It appears to be a library copy ("Withdrawn from Stock" stamp on the inside), which did not look read at all. Other than a few library markings (stickers/stamps and security sticker), the book is in excellent condition.

I like the dedication of the book. Seems to fit me to a tee.

Many of the flies shown in the book are tyed on small Up-Eye hooks (see example below).

I am looking forward to learning more about Mr. Marryat, and his contribution to fly tying/fly fishing.

Has anyone else read this book? If so, how did you like it?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: "Marryat - Prince of Fly Fishers" by Terry Lawton

Post by Variant » Sun May 01, 2022 10:30 am

Hi Ray,
You got a good book at a great price!
Marryat was a very underrated fly dresser and fly fisherman, I think you will enjoy the book.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am

Nice grab. That is one of the books on my list to buy. Great price too! Congrats.
Greg
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun May 01, 2022 1:17 pm

I’m surprised that the author was able to find enough information about Marryat to write a book. The pictured fly encapsulates the founders of the dry fly movement: Halford, Marryat and Hall.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/journal/part61.php
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun May 01, 2022 9:35 pm

Ray,
What a find! I love all things Marryat! The man was indeed a Prince! Can you tell us when the book was originally published? Terry Lawton is a prince of an author as well!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm

The book is a great read. Marryat truly changed the history of fly fishing.
Bob
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue May 03, 2022 7:11 pm

Ray, you're a lucky man. That book is also on my radar because I love reading about the gentlemen from back in the day.
The fly The Fisherman's Curse I have heard of and am very curious to know if the name holds to the legend.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 pm

Ray,
Your new book looks delicious! I love the dedication and the cool pattern you have photographed above! This is definitely a must have for my small but mighty library!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.