New Book/"The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher" by Ed Ostapczuk ("Esopus Ed")

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

New Book/"The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher" by Ed Ostapczuk ("Esopus Ed")

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 pm

Last week I found out about a brand new book by Ed Ostapczuk, entitled "The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher - Tales from a Catskill Eddy and Other Trout Waters"/ISBN 978-1-954744-68-4/Published by Epigraph Books. Having read (and loved) Ed's prior book, I immediately ordered a copy of the new book. Amazon had it on my doorstep by last weekend. I started reading it Sunday morning and simply could not put it down, reading it cover to cover the same day! Excellent book!

In the book, Ed covers his fly fishing adventures over the past couple decades in the Catskills, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and even the wild trout streams of New Jersey (mind blown). Ed included several chapters documenting the life and fly tying contributions of Edmund Williams Sens, and sharing correspondence between Jim Leisenring and Edmund Sens.

Ed is one of the most well rounded fly fisherman I've ever known, fishing a wide range of imitative wets, dries, and steamers. It was a pleasure reading about what worked, what didn't, and his thoughts on the reasons.

Anyway, I enjoyed this book very much.

Congratulation Ed, on another fine book.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: New Book/"The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher" by Ed Ostapczuk ("Esopus Ed")

Post by Variant » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Ray,
Great summation.
I also have read Ed’s books and enjoyed them both very much.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: New Book/"The Wanderings of a Mountain Fly Fisher" by Ed Ostapczuk ("Esopus Ed")

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:08 pm

Lou,

I remember reading Ed's first book while on travel in China a number of years ago. I can clearly remember sitting in the Beijing airport, laughing loudly as I read his story about the sunbather. Still makes me laugh.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 pm

Terryll (Fishnkilts) - I thought of you while reading this book. On page 22 Ed tells a story about the Rio Grand King wet fly, like you recently posted.

"In September of 1992, the late Bill Kelly caught a fifteen-and-a-half pound brown on a size 6 Rio Grand King wet fly."

I can see why you find this pattern so interesting!

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:21 am

Just ordered two of his books. I can always use something new to read.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
RickA

Post by RickA » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:55 am

I have Ed's new book too and took it to Summerfest at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum
to have him sign it. Unfortunately, Ed was not there but I did get several of the featured tyers
in Mike Valla's book Favorite Flies for The Catskills to sign my copy.
Anyway, I did enjoy following Ed's footsteps through his book as I have fished many of the same waters
over the years, and yes Ray, even the wild trout streams in "The Garden State"