EARLY SCOTTISH ANGLING LITERATURE

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Variant

EARLY SCOTTISH ANGLING LITERATURE

Post by Variant » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:50 am

EARLY SCOTTISH ANGLING LITERATURE by Professor N.W. Simmonds published in 1997.
This book is right down my alley because I am fascinated with the history of fly fishing . The book is , in effect about sport fishing in Scotland. The big heavy rods , braided horses hair casts , flies were tied on eyeless hooks . There is much debate about “ upstreamers vs downstreamers “ on fishing wet flies !

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: EARLY SCOTTISH ANGLING LITERATURE

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 pm

Being a fly fishing history buff, I'm sure you have or have read The Fly Fisher's Craft The Art and History by Darrel Martin and The Colonial Angler's Manual of Fly Fishing and Fly Tying by Ken Reinard. Both deal with loop rods, horsehair fly lines, tying on eyeless hooks, etc. I was fortunate to spend time with Darrel Martin at his home, drooling over his library of first editions and his collection of antiquities. We spent a large part of the afternoon making snoods on his Walton's Engine, to construct a tapered horse hair fly line, suitable for a thirteen foot rod.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:56 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 pm Being a fly fishing history buff, I'm sure you have or have read The Fly Fisher's Craft The Art and History by Darrel Martin and The Colonial Angler's Manual of Fly Fishing and Fly Tying by Ken Reinard. Both deal with loop rods, horsehair fly lines, tying on eyeless hooks, etc. I was fortunate to spend time with Darrel Martin at his home, drooling over his library of first editions and his collection of antiquities. We spent a large part of the afternoon making snoods on his Walton's Engine, to construct a tapered horse hair fly line, suitable for a thirteen foot rod.
That is a library I'd love to see! Snoods! ...; there's a word that only we, the duly afflicted, would ever understand.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks Lou, another book to add to my library! Also ordered the colonial anglers manual 2. I love reading about fly fishing history. I've never met Darrel Martin, but I have all of his books. It must have been nice to have been able to spend an afternoon with him.
Last edited by jcwillow777 on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:29 pm

Thanks for the tip Lou! I found it on eBay for $6.99 plus free shipping. Some of the best angling authors are Scottish. I own quite a few of their books plus digital versions from InternetArchive.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:40 pm

Only 1 more for $6.99 and free shipping on Ebay. I got mine.
Greg
Variant

Post by Variant » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:48 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 pm Being a fly fishing history buff, I'm sure you have or have read The Fly Fisher's Craft The Art and History by Darrel Martin and The Colonial Angler's Manual of Fly Fishing and Fly Tying by Ken Reinard. Both deal with loop rods, horsehair fly lines, tying on eyeless hooks, etc. I was fortunate to spend time with Darrel Martin at his home, drooling over his library of first editions and his collection of antiquities. We spent a large part of the afternoon making snoods on his Walton's Engine, to construct a tapered horse hair fly line, suitable for a thirteen foot rod.
Yes, I have all of Darrel Martins books and I had the pleasure to sit , talk and tie with him at the the FFF show years ago. We also talked about the wee wet flies of Scottish anglers .

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am

Just back from a couple of weeks at our cabin deer hunting/fly fishing. Waiting for me was a copy of Early Scottish Angling Literature and The Colonial Angler's Manual of Flyfishing and Flytying. Only perused them, looking forward to reading them. Also waiting for me was a copy of Mike Valla's Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies. Although I already have his recipe for Tups dubbing, I wanted to have it in print. Looking forward to reading this one this winter too.
Greg