Quote of the Day

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Quote of the Day

Post by PhilA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 am

"To take large fish that are shy is the acme of sport. A day now and then on preserved waters crowded with fish eager for your flies is a pleasant novelty, but for real sport, give us free water where the trout are critical, hard to please, and highly valued when caught."

--Theodore Gordon in American Trout Fishing, by Theodore Gordon and a Company of Anglers, 1966
Theroe

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am

PhilA wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 am "To take large fish that are shy is the acme of sport. A day now and then on preserved waters crowded with fish eager for your flies is a pleasant novelty, but for real sport, give us free water where the trout are critical, hard to please, and highly valued when caught."

--Theodore Gordon in American Trout Fishing, by Theodore Gordon and a Company of Anglers, 1966
.......one of the main reasons I religiously fish Cairns Pool & Wagon Tacks........
Soft and wet - the only way....
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Ah yes, the Metolius in Oregon.... I go there to fish... the Crooked River to catch fish, though the Crooked is all wild natives...just lots of them...
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

I get bored with hyper-finicky trout. Give me the Crooked River anytime as I like to see water thrown as fish take flies.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 am

Quote of the Day...

The memory of an old angler is rich with innumerable spoils and trophies of the past; it is vivid, detailed, exact. Something in the nature of the sport makes our angling memories more enduring than others. . . . Every observation he has ever made in fishing, however minute, has contributed something to his present skill, so that he seems to know by instinct, at the first glance over a pool, where the trout will lie, how they are to be approached, and in what order. Every mistake he has ever made now warns him, and every success guides hand and foot and eye as he works his way along strange water. He has acquired what might be called a bodily wisdom, which is really a host of dormant memories and the deduction, often unconscious, that he has made from them. . . . A good angler may forget freely and profusely about every other matter; he remembers everything about angling.”

--Odell Shepard in Thy Rod and Thy Creel (1930)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 pm

PhilA,
Thank you this "Quote of the Day" as it pertains to old anglers! This was precisely the same thoughts that I had of our departed friend Bill Shuck at the Roscoe #1 flymph gathering as he skillfully landed two hard pressed trout from a tailing pool that nearly everyone had flogged as they made their ways downstream including myself! Bill had allowed me first go at some risers within that pool but I could not connect! As I backed out, he slowly unhooked his fly from it's keeper and proceeded to pay out line all the time....and watching! The words you posted above in your quote speak volumes to inexperienced neophytes like me! Reading the quote and remembering Bill as he defused the situation brought me great joy! Thank you for this! Do you plan on doing other quotes in the future? I hope you will consider it!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:41 pm

And, the very last line.....That's probably how I will cash out! At least I hope and pray that's how it turns out!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.