Sunshine and the Dry Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RobSmith1964

Re: Sunshine and the Dry Fly

Post by RobSmith1964 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Mullocks have a set of Dunne's flies in their next auction.

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... ml?p=6-100
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

I believe that during a discussion that I had years ago, I asked Alec Jackson why he was having his Soft Hackle and North Country hooks chromed by Daiichi.

If I recall correctly, he stated that when sunlight reflects off the chromed hook, it looks like reflections within the water itself and makes the hook less visible to the trout. It would also eliminate the need to paint the hooks with white paint, sinnce the chromed hook should show thorugh the silks a little easier.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm

RobSmith1964 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:29 pm
Mullocks have a set of Dunne's flies in their next auction.

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... ml?p=6-100
They also have a card of 477 in that auction...

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 pm

upstatetrout wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 am
Imagenearest american express office

In my own copy a previous owner has posted a clipping dealing with Dunne's hackles and Pearsalls tying threads.It is interesting as Dunne used Cellulite (machine made thread) coated with a special oil over hook Shanks painted with white enamel for his bodies. I have seen spools of this thread and it is indeed different. I surmise without having seen any of his actual flies that the Pearsalls was for general tying of the fly and the cellulite one color or mixed was used for the body. His mathematical formulas for fly tying never appealed to me but his writings on translucency to try and imitate life in the dry fly have.

Tom

Tom

There is a spool of Cellulite in that auction too. https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... .html?p=31

dd
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 am

While I'm not going to try and dissect Dunne's tying methodology, I'm completely unqualified, or even fish a lot of dries for that matter, I love how much passion he put into the book. The language he used to describe colors was wonderfully evocative. He describes a nameless Dun that didn't appear in the Halford series of flies in terms that literally make the bug jump off the page: "Every day, and all day long, these neglected insects were hatching out in hosts. They were all duns, sober looking duns, with almost colorless legs and setae, with wings varying from crinkled pewter to the tint of Sheffield plate worn thin, and with plain, monochromatic bodies varying from palest honey to darkest amber." -Dunne

Crinkled pewter and Sheffield plate worn thin? ...who writes like this anymore?

It was a great read and my only complaint is that it was too short, by far.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm

We love poetry, don't we?

dd