History writings on caddisflies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: History writings on caddisflies

Post by Roadkill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 am

You might be interested in an alternative tie of the The Black Leaper put forth in The Origins of Angling by
John McDonald. It treats a possibility of a wingless palmered wet fly for the blacke louper cadis from The Treatise of Fishing with an Angle.

The Black Leaper possibly identified as a caddis...
body- Black wool ribbed with peacock herl
wings and/or hackle- b) Hackle: Palmer-tied dun
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

Oh boy! This has the makings of being a fantastic thread... 8-)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Think about it John any old book discussing wet flies are just as likely to be talking about caddis! How about the Green Sleeves or the Green tail. Both have a recorded pattern wardrobe from the 1700's. North Country Flies used for the early season Grannom hatches. By word of mouth probably much older. Check Robert Smith's book for more ideas.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

John,
Rusty, whom we both know, wrote a column recently about how caddisflies were not given their deserved attention until recent decades. The piece includes some history of caddis imitations. Have a look at:
https://www.swtu.org/2019/02/08/lafonta ... rkle-pupa/

Phil
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:27 pm
PhilA wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm John,
Rusty, whom we both know, wrote a column recently about how caddisflies were not given their deserved attention until recent decades. The piece includes some history of caddis imitations. Have a look at:
https://www.swtu.org/2019/02/08/lafonta ... rkle-pupa/

Phil
Phil, perfect.. thank you!!

What I am starting to assume that a lot of today's Czech nymphs are taken by the trout as caddis larva. Also, the old spiders and soft hackles do give the illusion of a caddis pupa emerging.

When I ask fly fishermen if they ever fish caddis larva patterns most say "No". Yet, if I ask them do they have in their fly boxes nymph patterns and fish them (such as PT nymphs) most say "Yes". Most trout streams, especially the freestone streams have more caddis than mayflies crawling around on the bottom. And as Rusty's article points out (and is part of my TU chapter presentation) caddisflies really do not get the attention they deserve - now or centuries before.
I’m all my years of guiding I’ve stomach pumped very many trout on the Lower Sacramento River, I’ve can’t remember ever seeing a Caddis lava in any of them, certainly not a cased Caddis which are prolific here. Similarly not a mayfly lava. I’ve seen plenty of emerging mayflies and Caddis pupa. But the most amazing observation I’ve made is that more than 50% of the fish don’t have a single food item in their stomachs. Don’t figure and this is over twenty plus years. I must add this is the Sacramento River so others may we’ll be very different.
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either