"The Mayfly Guide" by Al Caucci

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

"The Mayfly Guide" by Al Caucci

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:02 am

I've had this book on my Amazon wishlist for several years, waiting for the price to come down on a used copy. Unfortunately, there must be a healthy demand for the out of print book. Check out the prices on used copies of this book. $798.98 dollars?! Good grief! :o :? :roll:

Out of curriosity, I did a quick search on Apple's iPad bookstore and found that they had the book for only 13 bucks (a steal compared to the print versions). I immediately bought the digital edition and have enjoyed studying the book on my iPad.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that sometimes digital versions can be a cheaper way to get hold of out-of-print books. I would still much rather have a physical copy of books (paper is more permanent), but will make due with digital books when needed.

Have you guys purchased many digital books?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Re: "The Mayfly Guide" by Al Caucci

Post by Mike62 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm

I can't do it, I just can't. It has taken me years to get over not having a Boston Sunday Globe in my hands on Sunday. I'm still struggling with newsprint withdrawal to this day. The Bangor Daily is but a shadow of its former self and its online 'paper' is a royal pain in the arse. I can't even begin to imagine the damage to my already fragile psyche should I succumb and buy a Kindle.

I want paper, I want ink, I want typography, I want a stamp on the inside front cover that reads 'Used Library Copy'...
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Mike - My heart is in the same place, but my wallet lead me astray. For now, all I can afford are electrons (digital edition).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:50 am

Ray,

Thanks for posting the link. Like you, I would rather have a hard copy, but that ain't gonna happen at that price. I just downloaded it.

I have downloaded a couple hundred PDF versions of out of print books, and read most of them. Yes, I would love to have hard copies, but I just can't afford them. At least I can read the PDFs and get the information, and I am grateful for that.

That being said, I have a nice small library of books that I have been able to locate and purchase. I'm continually looking for older fly fishing books that I can afford. But, if I can't afford the physical copy and I can locate a PDF version, I have no qualms downloading it.

Thanks again for posting. It is because of posts like this that my library is increasing.
Greg