Mini Me Coachman and Coviello's emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Mini Me Coachman and Coviello's emerger

Post by ronr » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 am

Some days the moon and stars all line up, the fish decide to eat, and the flies chosen were on the menu. Spent most of the morning searching for fish on a section of the middle Deschutes that flows through my neighborhood. I had little to show for my efforts other than a couple grabs and a couple LDR's. I decided to walk about a half mile upstream to an area that I have had some success on other occasions. Today, that was a good decision. The first 50 yards didn't produce even a grab but I continued to swing through the rest of the long run and finally got a grab. The next cast through that same area produced the first of what would turn out to be the best hour of fishing I'd had on this water. I was fishing with a size 18 version of Otto's coachman variant on the point and one of Jerry Coviello's moose mane emergers. The fish were eating both flies but it seemed the fish preferred the emerger. I switched out the top fly and put on Coviello's pheasant tail emerger. That combo produced fish on every cast for about 45 minutes and included two doubles. Normally, I would have the larger fly on point but today the reverse worked best.

Those of you who receive FFI's Flyfishers magazine will find Coviello's patterns in the summer 2022 edition.
Those are much better pictures of the out of focus, fish eaten versions I've attached to this little story. All of these fish came out of the same 25 yards of river and the bite ended as quickly as it had begun. I've never found a concentration of trout like this at any other time on this water. In a couple days this water will be unfishable as irrigation ends and the water taken from the river upstream is returned to the river.

Glad I had this nice day on my neighborhood water and thanks to Newriverspey for the inspiration of his beautiful Coachman Variant. My size 18 was an experiment, working with using oversized feathers for the hackles. I tied in both the orange dyed pheasant and a natural pheasant using the distributed feather method to get the blended hackle similar to Otto's version. The size 18 experiment excluded the golden pheasant tail. This fly counted for about as many fish as the emerger by the end of the day and will become a regular edition to my box.
Attachments
IMG_4848.jpeg
IMG_4848.jpeg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 14208 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Mini Me Coachman and Coviello's emerger

Post by letumgo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:01 pm

Excellent post Ron. I enjoyed reading of your success with these flies. Happy for you mate.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:41 pm

Ron,

Great report and I am glad the coachman variant worked for you. I have been traveling quite a bit over the last few months and now that I am home, I will catch up with all the posts I missed. Thanks again for a great report.

Otto
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:15 pm

Welcome back Otto. Maybe you an tell us of your summer adventures at some point, once you’ve gotten settled back home. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am

Hi Ray,

I first went to Canada to fish the Dean River and was fortunate to get this opportunity. What an amazing fishery and area to visit. I did manage to catch a few steelhead, which was a thrilling experience. From there, I went to Japan, which was part work and three days exploring Hokkaido and getting another chance to fish. This was truly amazing and met a few people that swing soft hackle flies. At night we tied flies and attached a picture of the most productive fly. It was pink and orange seal fur blend, orange silk, and partridge. This fly caught more fish than any other fly hands down and want to test it on my local rivers. From Japan, I went to France, Germany, Denmark, and Sweden. All amazing places as well and visited many fly shops when I could. I wish I had more free time to explore and fish but maybe one day I will.

Ron, sorry to hijack your post!

Otto
Attachments
Fly2.jpg
Fly2.jpg (411.42 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
Fly1.jpg
Fly1.jpg (331.98 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:11 am

Otto no hijack here... I'm glad to hear of your exploits and would love to know more. Your pink fly is going to get a shot here in Central Oregon too. In the water that pink might darken and resemble the October Caddis pupa on the Metolius.