Rigging Droppers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Re: Rigging Droppers

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:55 am

grinr wrote:Hey all,new member here,just chiming in.I live in New Brunswick,Canada and mostly fish for brookies and atlantic salmon.Anyhow,back on topic,I don't fish droppers too often but when I do I use a very simple set-up.I simply tie on a length of tippet(6lb maxima chameleon) with a double surgeon knot and leave the upper tag end(towards butt) long enough (8-10"?) to tie on another fly.In using the upper tag as opposed to the lower,with 6lb Maxima it is stiff enough to keep a light dropper fly away from the main tippet when swinging wets and rarely ever fouls or tangles.A black beadhead bugger on the point with a non-weighted olive bugger on the dropper quite often results in a pair of greedy 12" brookies.....lotsa fun on a 4wt! :mrgreen:
Not to be too picky... but you should probably stick with using the lower tag end of your surgeon's knot (for strength)--although with smaller fish it's probably less of an issue. I recently learned to use the ligature knot and it is by far a better knot than the surgeon's both for strength and for the initial dropper (tag exits at 90 degrees to the knot). As I fish competitively and because the rings are not allowed in competition, I either use a knot based dropper or tie the dropper directly to the leader above the knot, similar to the loop system Phillip illustrated in his second diagram above.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)