Great Wet Fly Fishing Video

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Great Wet Fly Fishing Video

Post by redietz » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:49 pm

I'm sure we're all familiar with Davie McPhail as a fly tyer, but here he takes us with a cast of wets:

No swing here.

"I ain't no Spiderman any more" -- ain't it the truth.
Bob
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Great Wet Fly Fishing Video

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that. About halfway through, it looked like he was using a helicopter cast with great effect.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:50 pm About halfway through, it looked like he was using a helicopter cast with great effect.
I noticed that.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:06 pm

I enjoyed his fly selection. I had a bit of a "V8" moment. I have never used a nymph when fishing wets. It makes perfect sense to put a nymph on as my bottom fly.

The past couple of days I have been fishing during a Yellow Sally Stone and PMD hatch. From 8AM to about 1PM the up and across , for lack of a better term, that he used to catch his first trout, is what was working.

After 1PM I suspect a small caddis emergence has been happening. The down and across swing that he used to catch the rest of his fish is what was working.

Good video. I enjoyed it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:20 am

Bob - I converted the link into an embedded media link, so it appears directly above.

Thank you for sharing the video. I just watched it, and enjoyed it. Such a lovely little stream.

At the beginning I kept thinking, who walks to the stream with their rod still in pieces? I always assemble and rig my rod, before heading to the stream.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:54 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:20 am At the beginning I kept thinking, who walks to the stream with their rod still in pieces?
Somebody who wants to lose a section of his rod?
Bob
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:44 am

DUBBN, I can't wait until you try a 3 fly cast of dry, emerger, and wet or nymph! ;)

letumgo, I often assemble the rod but don't settle on the line to use until I read the water. Other times recently tied flies to test determine the initial setup. :geek: :)