Diamondback Rod

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Terrestrial12

Diamondback Rod

Post by Terrestrial12 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:33 am

Hey guys. I enjoyed reading Ron's thread on his new eagle claw rod. I have that rod and absolutely love it. The problem is I think it's a little short. I love soft, slow glass rods and saw someone post that the crafted glass eagle claws are even better. I've hear that this is true and been told if you can find one with the medallion in the cork that it makes the cheaper Featherlite feel like casting a broom stick by comparison. I thought the difference was age of the two modes and not "crafted" and "Featherlite" . So anyway I ran right over to ebay and Amazon to buy a crafted glass and in the process found diamondback rods. They say ther are soft, slow and smooth and the best thing is you can get a longer 3wt. They have 7' and 7'6". They are more expensive but still cheap, so before I spend 100 bucks I wanted to see what yall might know about them.
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Diamondback Rod

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 am

I haven't heard anything bad or good about the Diamondback rods. If you pull the trigger, we'd be interested in your thoughts.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 am

Any other recommendations on an inexpensive, slow, soft rod I might look for? Similar to he eagle claws but preferably 7'6" or longer.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:57 am

Not in that size range. I just picked up two from Maxxon Outfitter that are 6'6", one in 3 wgt and one in 4 wgt. Kind of medium fast rods. Both throw a 150 grain Skagit head and tips with authority. I'm making accurate 40 foot casts with these little rods with almost no room behind me.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:28 am

Our recently departed friend, Alan Petrucci (BrkTrt) was a huge fan of the glass rods made by 'Cane & Silk'. His site is still and being maintained if you want to read his thinking on them.

https://www.caneandsilk.com/fiberglass- ... y-rod.html
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:28 am

Howdy All;

Had to work around as I got a 404 not found when I went to follow the link Mike provided.
I shortened the address to just Al's web site, which still functions. Then re-read the link's
address and found when it was posted to the blog. Sept. 2016. Then it was an easy scroll
to find it. I surprise me sometimes. chuckle.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 am

hankaye wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:28 am Howdy All;

Had to work around as I got a 404 not found when I went to follow the link Mike provided.
I shortened the address to just Al's web site, which still functions. Then re-read the link's
address and found when it was posted to the blog. Sept. 2016. Then it was an easy scroll
to find it. I surprise me sometimes. chuckle.

hank
You da' man, Hank; I have a hard enough time just navigating my email.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:09 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:53 am

@mike62 thank you! I'm really glad I checked this thread again. I just Googled cane and silk and it popped up. For 150 and being able to pick all the colors and components I'm going to buy one. They are shorter than what I wanted but that's ok. He's got pictures of the tip top bent all the way around past the reel seat cap like they used to do in the old ugly stick commercials so I would imagine they are pretty soft. Also my wife just asked me what I was going to buy myself for Christmas so if I hold out just a few more weeks and time it just right I can get it without having to do much explaining hahaha. Thanks again buddy! Do u have any experience with the silk lines? Might try one of them too, tho I know they require a lot of maintenance.