Topic: Hook Finish

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Henry

Re: Topic: Hook Finish

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am

Has anyone used the Gamakatsu Hooks in the black finish. I have tried some on soft hackles and like the way they look. Always thought they might be better because of the color.

Jim
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Jim,
I've not used the Gamakatsu hooks, but I've used other black finish hooks that seem to work well.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 am

Having used a range of hooks with different finished - Bronze, Black and Steel coloured (which is more like the colour of Damascus steel) - I have not been able to discern any difference in the catch rate. When using Gold, Silver and Red hooks as an experiment I have definitely seen a significant reduction in the catch rate.
I think this is really a personal thing. What I do like though, irrespective of the hook colour is the thickness. The finer the hook the better for me.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:22 am

Howdy, Interesting topic. My question is ... when the "Classic" flies were tied what did the hooks look like at that time in history? Colo(u)r, size etc.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 am

Now that is an interesting question.
As late as the middle of the 18th century, many English flies were probably tied on hooks made by needle makers. Therefore they would be a cold steel colour. I think bronzing came with commercially made hooks but the older hooks I have are a very dark bronze. Even today, there is variation in the bronzing between hook makers.
Hook design is a whole thread in its own right
So an good question and I will be interested to see some of the posts.
Gosh I can see the debate raging again, similar to what threads were used :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Howdy ,
When the hooks and such were made in olde tymes, they were made (IMO), FOR the fisherfolk.
Nowadays seems like the folks doing the majority of the hooking are the manufactures. I refer to the expression " Most fishing gear is made to catch fishermen and women ... not to catch fish."

One of the primary reasons, I think, that I've begun to enjoy the fly side of fishing I'm hookin myself on the flys. ouch
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Phil you are right about the bronzing of the hooks, early North Country patterns were tied on needlers hooks that had an almost silver blue sheen to them.
You know my love of the B525 hook and it's qualities of strength and lightness, I also firmly believe that a brighter hook adds to the translucency of the fly with the reflective quality of the hook shining through the wet silk. I have tried using black TMC hooks but have found they somehow don’t have the translucent quality I am after. Does it matter to the trout what hook I use? Probably not but it aids my confidence in the fly both at the vice and on the river.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:55 am

Bob,
I am curious as to why you don't use a B980? Doesn't this hook have a more traditional look and construction for NC flies?.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

BobSmith

Post by BobSmith » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Mark, I just don't think the B980's have the right proportions; to me the hook shank is too short when coupled with the gape. I have used the B525's for years now and just think they are perfect for the type of dressing that encapsulates the North Country style. They are light in wire and yet strong as they are course fishing hooks and they also have the extra benefit of not allowing you to dress past the barb due to their crystal bend. Give them a try you will be impressed, I have managed to get Philip Bailey using them now and he likes them, although he never gives me credit for it! Or for putting him on to the “Black Magic” which is the finest grayling dry fly to have ever come out of my fathers flybox.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Bob,
Would you say this is the same hook? I'm not sure about getting Kamasan hooks here in the US. This is a Daiichi.
1480small.jpg
Mark