H.L. Leonard Rod Co.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

dj1212

H.L. Leonard Rod Co.

Post by dj1212 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:22 pm

For any of you who might be interested in bamboo rods and their history.

Francis: “A corner of the Leonard rod making shop in Central Valley. The bearded figure in the right background is H. L. Leonard. Hiram Hawes is second from left, and E. F. Payne is third from left.”
Garner: “Leonard employees, prior to 1890. In 1956 Cora Leonard identified the men, from far left to far right, as William Gordon, Hiram Hawes (looking off to the left), E. W. Edwards, Ed Payne in top hat, Harry Burr, H. L. Leonard with the white beard, possibly George Varney with the dark beard, Henry Greene in foreground and Freeman Norton on the extreme right.”

Quite a group of rod makers. From this photo Hawes, Edwards and Payne went on to build rods on their own. There are probably people here that know more than I do about cane rods. I just wanted to share a pretty cool photo.

Doug J.
Fishnkilts

Re: H.L. Leonard Rod Co.

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Thank you for posting that photo. I like historical things like that and bamboo rods too.
It's good to see the faces to the names of these great men.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:02 pm

Doug,
I agree with"Kilts"! Always good to see these vintage and historic photographs especially when they include our fly fishing (rod building) hero's! Thanks for sharing this!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:36 pm

Did a little reading and found out George Varney later worked with Montague rods.