Must watch video

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

dj1212

Must watch video

Post by dj1212 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:05 pm

If you haven't seen this video you should watch. Fishing north country flies in the north country on the river Wharfe. Made me smile. :)
jcwillow777

Re: Must watch video

Post by jcwillow777 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:56 am

Thanks for posting! A treat to see vintage footage of upstream wet fly fishing.
Greg
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:14 pm

Oh, I'm glad I took the time to watch that. Brilliant, as the Brits might say. And the debate at the end with the "typical" southern chalkstream dry fly fisherman, gotta love it. Thanks.
plvankampen

Post by plvankampen » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:54 pm

I have definitely watched this. I have also definitely watched this at work which opened me up to both ridicule as well as interest. You know, 'you dress up better for fishing than work.'... and the like. But, there's only so many 'upstream wet fly fishing' videos that come up on youTube - which is a shame.
So, for my fellow reel nerds, at a glance I would guess he is fishing a Hardy Perfect. Is that right? I'm getting better at reel identification, especially for Hardy, but there are definitely some 'English Reel' experts out there that have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:35 pm

plvankampen wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:54 pm I have definitely watched this. I have also definitely watched this at work which opened me up to both ridicule as well as interest. You know, 'you dress up better for fishing than work.'... and the like. But, there's only so many 'upstream wet fly fishing' videos that come up on youTube - which is a shame.
So, for my fellow reel nerds, at a glance I would guess he is fishing a Hardy Perfect. Is that right? I'm getting better at reel identification, especially for Hardy, but there are definitely some 'English Reel' experts out there that have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
I've been a farmer most of my life so I'm going to reserve judgement on the whole, "dressing better for fishing" thing; I'm thinking I probably smelled better though. If you like the old Brit videos I'm sure you've tuned into the Oliver Kite ones as well. So ...British. So dialed back from our frenzied American kamikaze approach to everything.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 pm

chugbug wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:14 pm Oh, I'm glad I took the time to watch that. Brilliant, as the Brits might say. And the debate at the end with the "typical" southern chalkstream dry fly fisherman, gotta love it. Thanks.
I'm glad you all enjoyed that video. I loved the civilized discussion at the end about dry vs. wet too. So which requires more skill? Dry or wet? :D I thought the picture of the chalkstream trout was fun too. The slim but strong north country trout and the chalkstream brown with a fat belly. lol
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:53 pm

I liked that video. It reminded me of how my dad loved to throw wet flies.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Certainly no "reel expert", but yes, it looks like a RHW Hardy Perfect with a circular line guide that probably has a smokey gray agate in the ring.

Tight Lines- Ken
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:53 pm

There's only one thing wrong with that video and it's because it's not long enough. I enjoyed watching it very much.

I liked the debate at the end, wet fly vs. dry fly. I can see both points, but I have to say I never heard the point made on the wet fly fisherman better put because I never thought of it that way. I grew up favoring dry fly, but in my defense, in these Colorado Rocky Mountain rivers, I can't see rises all the time in these fast running waters, so there's no particular fish being stalked like they do in the UK. I do read the water as any fly fisherman would and hope there is a fish in that spot.

As for the wet fly technique, I generally can't see a fish rise up just below the surface to accept my offering. Not like the rise of a fish to a dry fly. So to me, wet flies give me a different and welcoming challenge.

This was a wonderful video.