Prairie Chicken

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Prairie Chicken

Post by DUBBN » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:37 am

Ron, the Prairie chicken you gifted me is amazing. So far it is the only pattern that has taken trout this late Spring and Summer on every trip. It is rivaling my Muskrat, and Yellow and Partridge as my top producer. I am using it as a March Brown/Hares Ear soft hackle.

I struggled tying with it in the beginning. The smaller feathers near the neck are nice but, they are kind of bland compared to the large feathers farther down the skin. The pattern caught fish just fine. We all know the fish usually are not as critical about the appearance of our offerings as we are.

I watched a video on YouTube yesterday using oversized hackles for soft hackles. I Use the same technique and have for years. I cannot believe I did not think about the technique for the Prairie Chicken. I cannot remember who made the video, but it is the same technique demonstrated here by Charlie Craven.

Here is the link https://charliesflybox.com/blogs/step-b ... S4P4zoRTUA

These are size 12
Fishnkilts

Re: Prairie Chicken

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:09 pm

DUBBN, those are incredible looking flies. I like how the hackle lays back a bit more than what I'm used to seeing.

The orange head really makes the deal.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:23 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:09 pm DUBBN, those are incredible looking flies. I like how the hackle lays back a bit more than what I'm used to seeing.

The orange head really makes the deal.
Thank you. It's kind of the byproduct of using the over size hackle. The fish do not mind it.
😉
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:45 am

Wayne, Glad your finding those feathers to your liking. As I said, I had two complete skins for years and never pulled a feather from either of them. Makes me happy that they are being used.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:32 pm

Great ties, Wayne.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:04 pm

Thank you Mike, I am impressed with this feather.