Redeemed

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Redeemed

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:19 pm

This year has been very hard on me with work, family, health and more work.

This past Spring the Poudre River was difficult with all the water coming down and run off lasting longer than usual this year. Plus not to mention how the mudslide from two years ago devastated everything down river. I read not too long ago that the DOW or CPW stocked the river with I believe 108,000 fingerlings. I think that was the number, so don't quote me on it. But still, it'll take years before the fingerlings get bigger and fun to catch.

But today it just clicked on the river. Question; is it me, or do the rocks in the rivers get more slippery every year?
Studs don't work or last very long, so I don't bother with those any more. What do you guys think about just buying a pair of cheap work boots like the Brahma boots from Walmart? I'm kind of tired spending all that money on wading shoes if the cheaper work boots would work just as good.

Anyhoo, I caught some fish today that made the whole summer up. I know there's no section for fishing wet winged flies, so I have to put it here. But I was also fishing a wingless wet at the same time. So I figure it grandfather's it in.

These are the flies I was using, my Queen's Guard and another fly my friend in Ireland sent me. It's a black fly with a soft hackle palmered body with a red spot in the middle. I don't know what it's called, maybe you do and can tell me. All I know is, black and red were the colors these fish wanted. I started with a prince nymph, but no takers.

I don't have much more to say, except that the fish I caught were bigger than I normally get on this river. One surprise was I caught a cutthroat in the mix. That's always a nice blessing. The bottom of my net is 16 inches, so that will give you some idea on the size of these trout. Here's just a few of them.

On this fish I was using a black wet fly with a red glass bead. You can see it laying on the fish.

DUBBN

Re: Redeemed

Post by DUBBN » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:28 pm

Great report on the river, and great photos.
Partsman

Re: Redeemed

Post by Partsman » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:24 pm

Beautiful pics, I’m glad you were able to get out, and I hope things continue to improve for you.
Mike.