Natural by design

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Natural by design

Post by daringduffer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 am

William Anderson wrote:as the purple silk turns almost black...but not quite when wet.

w
I wonder how the silk looks against the sky, I mean when the fish look upon it from down under.....dig...?

dd
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 pm

William Anderson wrote:Otter, you'll have to remind me again of where you are. (or include it in your profile to the right...hint).
w
Done :)

this is the insect in question

http://www.first-nature.com/insects/eph ... uticus.php
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 pm

dd, I dig it. I wonder too, and if you told me you knew the answer, it would certainly taint everything else you post. :)

Otter, that beatis does look a lot like our paralept that I was discribing. What I notice is that from the minute they hatch, the body continues to darken. Could be that by the time I get one in my hand..its darker than when it breaks the surface.

What was the original question again? :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 pm

William Anderson wrote: What I notice is that from the minute they hatch, the body continues to darken. Could be that by the time I get one in my hand..its darker than when it breaks the surface.
w
Interesting, if true I wonder does it apply to other upwings ?
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I too wondered about the colour schemes that seem prevalent. Funny old game this.

3 tied as suggested - need to play a bit more with the wings to get an eye for the right proportions. they really do look flimsy innoccuous creations when tied in this style.

I would put up a photo except that the kids have smashed the camera and the IMF are in the process of shutting down the last remnants of the Celtic Tiger - bread and water and (trout) here for the next few years.
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi All
Mark stated--The person becomes multi-sensory and more acutely aware of what is going on around them.

Mark) I don't think this is hijacking the thread,but I have a little story (Zen) that happened this fall.
I started to fish a riffle that I had fished many times before,and caught fish. It was around 1pm when I started fishing and somewhere in that riffle I became part of the flow of the water or part of nature? I usually took a hour or so to fish the length but on that day I fished the same water as before but it took me all afternoon , over four and a half hours. It"s hard to enplane but when it was happening I was not aware of the time,only the success I was having. I have never had that experience before anywhere , and I never caught so many fish in that stretch before. I went back several days later and could not recapture the Zen and caught only a few fish. Any one else ever had any thing happen to them like that?

Some how I got mixed up an this thread Sorry about that , I must have been on the beginning of thread?
William Anderson I like the two previous flies.

Best
John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle