Conditioning

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Otter

Conditioning

Post by Otter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 am

We often see discussed the conditioning of trout behaviour. I think an even more interesting subject is the conditioning of angler behaviour. So many of us have been conditioned to fish and think in particular and often peculiar ways by what we have read, learned from others, seen on TV,DVD's etc... and even self conditioned by our experiences whilst fishing. This conditioning often precludes us from investigating , digging deeper and even questioning accepted wisdom, or drives us the opposite direction to question everything passed to us from whatever source.

Our conditioning is often heavily influenced by the fashions of the day, as can be witnessed here - it has become fashionable amongst us, all be it a minority in the global scheme of things to delve into history and seek out the old patterns of spiders and wingless wets. Is this because we are dissatisied with more modern methods, are we simply bucking the trend, are we setting our own trend or are we simply touched by a sense of our place in the continium of fly fishing and have an aspiration to keep alive the traditions of our forefathers. Is it even more simply that we are touched and excited by the joy of tying and fishing with patterns that demand natural materials - plastic is plastic, wire is wire but hackles from game birds are things of immense beauty, each feather a complex arrangement of hues and shades.

I have a little theory that the advent of the internet has provided us with so much easily accessed information on techniques, materials and ideas that many anglers are suffering from overexposure and many are actively seeking a return to a more fundamentalist approach and such as us have perceived that wingless wets might bring much pleasure and much success and much simplicity to our fishing.

.... and then we discover that fishing wingless wets effectively is as complex or even more complex than other method's and that those simple looking p&o's etc... are far from the simple creations that we envisaged. :D

Are you being conditioned ??? ;)
daringduffer

Re: Conditioning

Post by daringduffer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 am

Very good topic!

dd
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Otter wrote: Our conditioning is often heavily influenced by the fashions of the day, as can be witnessed here - it has become fashionable amongst us, all be it a minority in the global scheme of things to delve into history and seek out the old patterns of spiders and wingless wets. Is this because we are dissatisied with more modern methods, are we simply bucking the trend, are we setting our own trend or are we simply touched by a sense of our place in the continium of fly fishing and have an aspiration to keep alive the traditions of our forefathers. Is it even more simply that we are touched and excited by the joy of tying and fishing with patterns that demand natural materials - plastic is plastic, wire is wire but hackles from game birds are things of immense beauty, each feather a complex arrangement of hues and shades.
Who are you callin' fashionable... ;)

Interesting post. Here's what I've most enjoyed since I first started fishing these soft hackle patterns with any real serious intent, last season:

1) Yes, the history. I like the tradition aspect of it, and the fact that I am sharing something of the experiences of generations past. It is good to take one's place in the parade. ;) I won't bore you with the stuff about the cultural influences that produce the patterns again... :lol:

2) I think many of these soft hackle / north country wets are simply beautiful little objects in their own right. I love their elegance, their minimalism, their scruffy, elegant minimalism... ;) The fact that you can catch fish with these beautiful little objects I still find quite amazing, there is a little bit of magic at work there, for me.

3) I love the philosophy of it, the economy, shooting a bird to eat, then using one of its feathers to catch a fish to eat. There is a symmetry about that which i find very pleasing. (And also shooting 'pests' that threaten food we grow to eat, then using bits of them to the same end.)

4) I love the feel of the materials, the capes, the fur, the silks and the colours of the silks, the wax. Am I still on the right site? :lol: I even like the smell of the mothballs - how sad is that? :D

5) When I am fishing soft hackles, I am mostly fishing for fish unseen. That means you have to read the river, fish the river rather than the fish. I like that feeling, it makes me feel more a part of it all, a more holistic approach. It is also one of the more measurable aspects of all this in terms of being able to chart one's progress - or otherwise! I have found that immensely satisfying this year, as I have become better able to do that.
.... and then we discover that fishing wingless wets effectively is as complex or even more complex than other method's and that those simple looking p&o's etc... are far from the simple creations that we envisaged. :D
Re: the p&o: Otter - mate - I'm sure I've told you this? Just tie a gold rib on it, it catches a treat! ;) :lol:
But not on a Wednesday - it doesn't work on a Wednesday, I've never caught a fish on it on a Wednesday. Well that has been my experience anyway... ;)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 pm

For me it's easy. I like to catch fish, big fish. Flymphs are the most consitant way that I have found to do this. The tradition is great , even better because it is somewhat obscure( Leisenring and Hidy) but to be honest I would admire the history and move on if the flies were not effective. Deadly effective. 3 out of 5 of my largest trout were taken on a flymph, a specific pattern that works on the Madison river from early May into late October. So I would say that the fish condition me.
Flymph on!
Jim
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 am

I believe most people want to "belong", one way or the other. It is an instinct in humans to be able to survive. Family, religion, political groups etc are exponents. The modern society has broken up a lot of old patterns in this regard. We usually don't live that close to parents and grandparents any more, neither to the people we grew up with. Religion is substituted with a lot of other activities. I think that the growing interest in our fly tying/fishing history has something to do with this. We want to belong and therefore want to connect with our history. We have found modulus and plastic to lack something and want more. Those of us who cannot fish enough try other ways to enrich ourselves and our interest and we bring this with us to the water when we get there.

dd
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:19 am

daringduffer wrote:We want to belong and therefore want to connect with our history.
dd
Hi dd - yes, there is probably something in that, some sense of continuity in a hurtling, fragmenting world, in the timeless environment of the river. Hmmm..

andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 am

Grasshopper: Master , I wish to go fly fishing for trout.
Master; Grasshopper , first you must know the ways of a trout

Grasshopper: Master, I have learned the ways of a trout, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Grasshopper you must learn to cast with a fly rod.

Grasshopper: Master, I have learned to cast a straight line into a hurricane, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Grasshopper, you must learn to fish a slack line.

Grasshopper: Master, I can do a parachute cast, a puddle cast, a wiggle cast, a reach cast, a tuck cast and many more besides, can I go fly fishing.
Master; You must learn to tie flies.

Grasshopper: I have learned all the techniques Master, would you like to see my Waterhen Bloa ?, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Are there Olives on your stream Grasshopper.

Grasshopper: No Master, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Find out what is on your stream Grasshopper

Grasshopper: Caddis Master, lots of Caddis , I have tied an Elk Hair Caddis and some caddis pupa softwings master, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Grasshopper, you have done well, now you must learn to read the water.

Grasshopper: Master, I understand Riffles and tails, flats and currents , pools and bends, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Grasshopper, can you walk a river without scaring the trout fifteen yards in front of you.

Grasshopper: Master, I can do better than 15 , I can do ten, please master its 30 years since I first asked, can I go fly fishing.
Master; Grasshopper you have been fly fishing for 30 years, if you think you are ready, go catch a trout Grasshopper

Grasshopper: Thank you master, I am ready , one questiion Master, should I fish up or down.

Master: AAAAH Grasshopper , you have much to learn :) .
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 am

Howdy Otter,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reckon I still have alot to learn
hank

edit to add statement.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 am

hankaye wrote:I reckon I still have alot to learn
hank
D'ont we all !!!! :D
After fifteen years Grasshopper returns.

Master: Grasshopper, you have come back.
Grasshopper: Yes Master

Master: Have you caught some trout Grasshopper
Grasshopper: Yes Master, I caught many fine trout.

Master: You seem troubled Grasshopper, what ails you.
Grasshopper: My eyes have grown weak master, and my knees prevent me fishing faster streams and I can no longer fish the evening rise. Yet I have so much left to learn master, it troubles me much.

Master: Here is some money Grasshopper , go get laser surgery on your eyes and get new knees.
Grasshopper: Thank you master, you are indeed wise.

3 years later.

Master: Grasshopper, you have come back, are your eyes and knees fixed.
Grasshopper: Yes Master.

Master: Have you much left to learn grasshopper.
Grasshopper: Yes Master, I need to learn a left to right fade and much more.

Master: I do not understand Grasshopper, what is this fade, is it a new cast ?
Grasshopper: When my knees and eyes were fixed I took to learning golf.

Master: Golf,……… why grasshopper.
Grasshopper: Because one can never become a master of fly fishing, the more you learn master, the more you realise that there is an infinite amount of learning to be had.

Master: Aaah Grasshopper, you are truly ready to learn about fly fishing, come, let us fish together, not for trout Grasshopper but for enjoyment Grasshopper.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 am

Otter;

Have had the Right knee replaced and the Lazers stay a step or 2 behind me.
Gave-up trying for the 28 lb. bass and the 9 lb. crappie, enjoying the calm.
Now, I just need to refine the way I beat the air into submission (cast). :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin