Are you your body..?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Are you your body..?

Post by daringduffer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Are you your body or are you in your body?

It is not by mistake I post this here. I've been thinking about it ever since the discussion about stealth and fishing skills. I believe the answer to this question has a lot to do regarding what kind of hunter you are. I also believe that it accurately describes the difference between me and, for instance, our member with the trumpet. (If I had a horn I would not be able to blow it).

So...what are you?

dd
Otter

Re: Are you your body..?

Post by Otter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 pm

i guess I am a work in (slow) progress

..... not that I understand the question :)
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:16 pm

So...what are you?

Who me??? Well DD I'm old, haggard and tired. Oh, and wrong a lot lately as well.

Now in regard to stealth I'm afraid I wouldn't have made it as a heron. Well perhaps a heron with a gimp leg but a good work ethic. :lol:

Regards, Jerry
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Stealth,...umm, rusty, creaky, stiff, donn't know if I qualify at the moment. 61 yrs of age, have C.O.P.D.,replaced right knee, arthritis in several other major joints. My flexability isn't. Haven't hunted in several years. Still need to get a bit more in shape. Walking the dog helps get me started, need to do more bending and reaching, some lifting (within reason), not a 'Spring Chicken' but still NOT into the big decline,...yet. I attempt to keep my goals 'reachable'. So, by Spring (late April early May), I should be in good enough shape to sneak-up on a Trout or 2... :lol:

stealth (stlth)
n.
1. The act of moving, proceeding, or acting in a covert way.
2. The quality or characteristic of being furtive or covert.
3. Archaic The act of stealing.
adj.
1. Not disclosing one's true ideology, affiliations, or positions: a stealth candidate.
2. Having or providing the ability to prevent detection by radar: a stealth bomber; stealth technology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English stelth, probably from Old English *stlth.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 am

Definitely not a River Ninja!

Two knee replacements in the future (been in the future for about a dozen years or so now). It's not really the pain so much, just can't rely on 'em to do their jobs. Find myself more and more having to slide on my bum to get into the river without falling in and needing a helping hand once in a while getting out again (thank god for my husband, why do you think I got him into fly fishing :lol: ) The getting in is the worst. It's more about thinking ahead to the best wading places and just avoiding it when unnecessary now. I'm just stubborn and will never give in!

The enjoyment is more than worth the inconvenience!!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 am

daringduffer wrote:Are you your body or are you in your body?

dd

I shall try but it could be difficult in a strange language: first of all I try to do not my best just accepting the way it goes. I try to be in the moment: to be aware of all the things in me and around me. Not only when I am fishing but also when I go on my bike to my work. When I am planing on my bamboo-rod there I try not to think all the other things that could be important and stay relaxed in it the only thing is this curl coming from the bamboo and revealing the rod inside the splice.

Fishing is important for me because it is so useless: to be very bussy (both with my body and my mind) with this activity and stay relaxed makes me feel happy.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:10 am

dd, you're not going to like this. Besides the fact that there are some physical limitations that are unavoidable, the question is not about your body, which you are in, but about "being" which is the foundation for how you approach everything in your life. Two of my favorite interests are trying to understand what the hell Heidegger was talking about in his search for "being" through phenomenology, and how we can apply some of Freud's thoughts to our search for we approach our world. (Stick with me...please, it applies here.)

Our state of mind is structured by our basic philosophical approach to our lives. But these are built around our subconsious sense of being. One of my favorite quotes is from Freud. "A man should not try to overcome his complexes (neurotic self, qualities and flaws included), but should become in to accord with them (accept them for what they are and not try to irradicate them). For they are what determines our conduct in the world."

Prior to that...Hieddeger tried to find a contrary philosophy toward life (seriously...stick with me) based on our actual, physical world that we occupy and how we find our sense of being within that world. This had been completely lost in most philisophical approaches in the beginning of the 20th c. This applies, because whether you're aware of it or not, you have established a mindset that is entrenched and governs your existence and behavior. It's our experiencing our world through our 5 senses that informs the rest of our lives from the time we begin collecting information from birth. And thus...are you your body, or are you in your body? Fantastic question. It obviously peaked my interest. I'm not high either, just jacked on coffee. Hey you opened up a topic that is nearly philisophical. Please delete my response if it seems inappropriate to this forum. And absolutely do not respond to such a perposterous response. It's just one of my "complexes", "neurosis". :D
w
Last edited by William Anderson on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 am

William,
Yours are more elaborate thoughts along the same line as my first impression of the ? I will simply paraphrase Descartes... I fish therefore I am! :D
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 am

I breath there-for I fish.

John
Good topic.
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:14 am

Shoot, You all are going over my head. William you need to get a place in the wilderness and sit on a rock. Contemplate life as it exists. Oh, some place like Walden Pond. :P

I seem to be in good shape at 64 compared to some of you. I am pretty stealthy.

I live to fish therefore I fish to live.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."