Are you your body..?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Are you your body..?

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 am

I could go WAY overboard with this thread, but instead choose to paraphrase a very insightful writer by the name of Alfred Miller better known as "Sparse Grey Hackle". Why worry over these things- "The trout do not rise in Woodlawn Cemetery--Fish when you can, how you can, and enjoy it."

Mark :)
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:07 pm

William (dub-ya), Howdy;

Your philosophical answer above reminded me of something Bill Cosby said in one of his eariler recordings.
When he first attended Temple U. he was a Phys. Ed. major and had this to say about Philosophy Majors;

"You see them (Philosophy Majors), wandering about the campus asking themselves such things as, 'Why is there air?'
Any Phys. ed Major can tell ya the answer to that ...It's to blow-up footballs, basketballs, vollyballs, ...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Dub-ya, Howdy;

Have to PS. to my last.

I am one of those who experience things and accept it for what it is then move on to the next.
I do realize that things change. My acceptance of things is for what they are 'at that moment'.
All things change, wether we change them or not is up to us. As my 2ed and 4th ex-wife (same creature), was
fond of saying, "POO OCCOURS". The Marines have a saying; "Adapt, Overcome, Survive" I merely attempt to.
just sayin'...
hank
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:55 pm

William Anderson wrote:dd, you're not going to like this...

w
You are totally wrong there, William. I like it very much. But like Ruard; on this level I find i difficult to express myself in an obscure language like this (how about that?). It's difficult to get the nuances in one's own language...

I've touched this question with one of my brothers- we have twisted and turned it. My thinking behind this was really simple though. I was thinking that if you are your body then body and mind is one - observation and valuation, stealth and so on - goes on sub-conciously. You are the "perfect hunter" just being yourself.

Me, on the other hand, I'm in my body. I have to process everything - or too many things - in order to decide what to do and how to do it. Then I have to send this information to my body in order to get it done.

By this definition I believe that Mike Connor, for instance, is his body and in that way different from me. I believe that one has to have the talent and cultivate it during the most formative years...

Well, this is not the truth in any sense - just a way to explain some things. Anyone is welcome to answer the question with their own interpretation of it. I do think that a "wrong" answer is impossible to produce.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 pm

hankaye wrote:Dub-ya, Howdy;

The Marines have a saying; "Adapt, Overcome, Survive"
just sayin'...
hank
They have another saying as well, "SNAFU".

I'm in my body, and all is well. I won't bother to explain it.
Last edited by Old Hat on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Mike wrote:May also be of interest;

http://www.christopherrownes.com/zen.htm

Regards and tight lines!

Mike
Excellent! I really enjoy that quote - "it's not the fly, it's the driver". (The fly was a coach and the driver the coachman or - in this case - the fly and the angler. Witty man, Marryat).

I enjoy being in my body, have few problems with my shortcomings and am clever enough choosing an interest where progress is almost guaranteed. I very rarely get frustrated when fishing. It's just that I like to think about things. I am my brain, my intellect, my mind. That doesn't catch me all the fish but it enables me great joy being there...doing whatever I do. I'm striving for the decent loop. That's how far I go, and believe me - that is far indeed.

dd
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm

daringduffer wrote: I enjoy being in my body, have few problems with my shortcomings and am clever enough choosing an interest where progress is almost guaranteed. I very rarely get frustrated when fishing. It's just that I like to think about things. I am my brain, my intellect, my mind. That doesn't catch me all the fish but it enables me great joy being there...doing whatever I do. I'm striving for the decent loop. That's how far I go, and believe me - that is far indeed.

dd
dd - what I really admire here is not your hunting abilities or otherwise (of which i can know nothing) but your ability to express such thoughts in a language other than your first. I envy you that and wish I had paid more attention to languages when younger - heck, what can I say? I'm English... ;)

On a more practical note, regarding required qualities of the good hunter, I would cite a lack of self-conciousness as being important. If you fish where I do on one of my waters, beside a constant parade of dog walkers and kids playing football, it is difficult not to feel a bit of a prat when trying to step up the stream like a heron... ;)
Andrew.
Last edited by GlassJet on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 pm

It would seem that only on Flymph Forum that a question and subsequent responses would be raised. Ya Gotta love it!
I would think stealth is a learned trait. Once "burned" into the memory banks it can then be called upon, sometimes by a trigger ( subconciously) sometimes by humiliation ( subconciously)or just plain thinking about it.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Old Hat wrote:
hankaye wrote:Dub-ya, Howdy;

The Marines have a saying; "Adapt, Overcome, Survive"
just sayin'...
hank
They have another saying as well, "SNAFU".

I'm in my body, and all is well. I won't bother to explain it.
Don't forget SNAFU's brothers;
TARFU and FUBAR :lol: :lol:
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 pm

dd,
Really, on a more serious note. Being in touch with one's body, it's orientation and balance-actually the Vestibular sense (We do have more than just five senses) can become highly developed with practice, just as the other senses can be trained to a heightened point and trained to a point where all work together simultaneously, as they were intended to. So, while our mind-better known as US (this is our thought processes, preferences, intelligence, and all the rest of those activities that are centered in the brain) controls the body, it is the vessel-our body- that is used to respond to our thought processes. The two work together. However with that said-based upon religious belief, our body is only a vessel-not permanent. When we leave our body,pass-on, that vessel is left behind, yet WE continue.

A bit more about simultaneous use of our senses. When we are born, all our senses work together to process incoming information. Upon learning to read, our senses become separated, we become more visually oriented (unless one is blind, of course) and we suffer the loss of simultaneous usage of our senses UNLESS we train ourselves back to using them all together. You will notice that in the case of someone being blind-ALL the senses come together-working simultaneously to assist in the loss of sight. It is the same with the loss of any of our most used senses, Seeing, Hearing, Touching, Tasting, and Smelling.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S