Conjecture?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Conjecture?

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Michael,
I don't have it, personally, but I've read it three times by checking it out of my local library. You will like it because it chronicles Wright's attempts to improve fishing conditions in a limited area of this very famous NY State river.

My very first semester in college was spent in a small community college in the Catskills in Fallsburg, NY. They had no dormitories, but the college had worked out a deal with two local motels in the area. One was used as a girl's dorm, and the other for the guys, of course. I did not find out till after it was too late that the fabled Neversink flowed behind the guy's dorm. In fact I actually walked along it shores one bright, warm fall day wondering if there were any trout in it. I did not see any, but the water was crystal clear and ice cold.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:13 am

Mark, i agree wholeheartedly.....this is a great thread and exactly why the internet was invented i believe. These types of discussions are great for learning how others think and so much more. What you say about expectations is spot on.
When teaching kids i've always found that they rise to the level of how they are treated. If you respect them, (and their potential), they will act (and excell), accordingly. If you step down simply because they are misbehaving, you simply reinforce such behavior, by showing them adults can be just as selfish.

i have both books you mentioned.....time i read them. :D Actually i've read parts of the Neversink book.....
i've fished the river so many times......such a special place. Only fished The Gorge once though......like to get back and do that again this year.....before i get to old to make it back up that hill..... :lol: .....fantastic pocket water. Prolly be great tenkara water..... ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 am

Hi Mark, its funny how that works, you lived on the banks of the Neversink I drove over it many times when I hauled
airfreight and nether of us got to fish it.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 am

Dang, i didn't see that post where you spoke of college Mark........man, i hope you now realize how close you were to some incredable water..........?............if you make a left turn right there, where the road follows along the east side of that lake right there........and just follow that road a mile or so til it comes down to the river where there's a green bridge over the river (still there, i was there last year), you come to where the dam is to the left not far at all, and to the right is a series of DEC access, all the way back to Monticello. We use to fish all the accesses from that bridge back to Monticello all the time.....incredable water. Lots of different types of water too.......long (and sometimes deep) pools, riffles, runs, pocket water, even some spring creek like water in places. The water behind the post office in that one little town is terriffic. The water at the place where they have the sand and gravel pits.....the prison water.....all the DEC access are good water. And the water downstream from Highway 17 is good too, VERY good. If your ever able.....get off 17 at the gas station exit not far past the overpass that spans the river on 17.....that little gas station that sits all by itself along the highway on the right going east. And take that road to where you see a DEC access on the left. The parking is on the left.....the river is downhill to the right. That's where you go down the hill to enter the gorge. Very easy trail going down.......hehehehehe. :D Take water with you, and save some for commin' up outta there. And be SURE to have your wading staff. ;)

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 am

Mark, Michael,
Even better, I use to take the bus to Binghamton from Fallsburg to get home to Syracuse for holiday's and weekend visits. I didn't have my own vehicle. The bus route use to carry us along old Route 17, and we'd stop in Roscoe at the famous diner. Much of the remainder of the ride carried us right along the Beaverkill. How I longed to get out and spend an hour or two fishing those pools and runs.

I have since been back there many times, and the little diner that was there when I was younger has blossomed into a full fledged restaurant, now. I long to get back there, soon. We've not been there for two years, now. Dang! Mark, why did you leave?

Mark

PS- Almost got hired, once, for a teaching position in Downsville, NY. Man what a life change THAT would have been.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am

You made me think of alllllllllllllllll the incredable rivers and streams i use to see in Europe all the time and never be able to fish and wish i could so much. So busy baby-sittin' musicians.....there was just never time............
Our house in Roscoe is about (just an "educated" guess), 350 yrds. directly across the Willow from the dinner.....straight shot.
Hey, we'll be back again in late May or early June.....or maybe even by mid-may......we dunno yet. Why we left is a long story. But i can sum it up in "three little words".....snow, floods, winter. i HATE snow........the Catskills are PURE heaven 7 months outta the year.....the other 5 SUCK!!!!! and i won't even start with the flooding............i'm still trying to forget........... :roll:
At this point all we have left in the house is a photoon upstairs and well..........thass bout it. Indoor camping is even less than what we're able to do there anymore. But all it takes is a pan, couple plates, a table & chairs, knives, forks & glasses, sheets, towles, & pillows and we're back in business. Better yet.......i want it SOLD!!!!!!!!
i use to fish the East Branch (Delaware folks)....a lot up Downsville way........GREAT river.......once a freestone of course, now a tailwater, which acts more like a giant spring creek.....BIG FISH too. Fantastic water..........
You want a life change.......leave Manhattan and come here..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 am

Maybe your house needs stilts?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I wasn't kidding.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Vicki, trust me.........we've had every opinion and every ******* tell us their theroy more than once. Anything you've got to say is always appreciated though.....so don't get me wrong. If you wanna know.....lmao.....our house has an addition that was added on in the 60's. House was built in '53. Whatever moron put the addition on, simply layed a 6 inch slab of concreat and went to work, INSTEAD of bringing it up to the same level as the rest of the house.....which is on a full basement. Therefore, in order to raise our house.....you'd have to cut it in half, AFTER taking he roof off.....raise both halves to an equal level, sew them back together, then sew the roof back on.......need i say.....you could almost build a new house for the money that would cost. Not to mention demonlition, hauling, and dump cost of the old house if we were to rebuild. So we're screwed til a crazy fisherman comes along.....like i was when we bought it. The property is SOOOOOO cool though, somebody who can afford it, should buy the place, tear down the house and put a raised one, litterally on stilts. There aint nothin' like Trout in your backyard.....litterally. Stewart Brook (our western property line), is 70 ft. behind the house and full of Trout.....the Willowemoc is (our northern property line), is 270 ft. to the left outside the front door, also full of Trout 365. We talkin' 1.54 acres of PURE Trout fishin' heaven..........cept for every now and again.....then we talkin' a LAKE, with an island.....the house. :roll:

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Mark,
That explains a lot. I know the floods, there, can be devastating. It's a shame it's SOOO close to the water. Perhaps a home on higher ground would be better in that area. I've seen quite a few houses set up on higher ground in the area. That would be the key. It's a shame the place is going to waste. It must be costing you a pretty penny.

I've often wondered what "normal" people do to earn a living in that area.

Mark

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am

To late to worry bout a house on higher ground.....or to go that route now. We can't afford two residences anymore.....we MUST get that sold ASAP!!!!! Can't stand the Catskills in winter time anyway. To many drunks on snowmobiles for one thing......... :roll:

And as far as "making a living" goes......if this stuff comes true.......
well....... http://www.endofamerica33.com :? :o :shock: :( i wonder if all that qualifies as "conjecture"........?