From Conjecture

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

michaelgmcgraw

Re: From Conjecture

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

I do catch more fish on smaller flymphs and soft hackles. The one exception for me is in the early season, then I use slightly
larger flies.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 am

Otter,
Here is an extra penny. I found this in some old research that i did at the time of the autopsies:
It may interest you.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 am

redietz,
me & you......i use to hate getting skunked......but after a while it happend so many times i got used to it..... :roll: that was very fortunate......it helped me a lot in learning how to better appreciate the simple opprotunity to fish.....without having "catching" in the way. It's so funny, but i was a much better fisherman (if measured by catch rates), the first 10 years i fly fished.....for the last 10 or so.....it seems (if measured by catch rates), i've been goin' backwards..... :lol:
Otter,
WELL SAID.......................like the bartender, "hotel, motel, we won't tell." :D
flyfishwithme,
i agree whole heartedly.....it never losses it's appeal for me either..........and i completely respect and appreciate the chance to learn from all your viewpoints, experiences, and imput.....you've all taught me a lot. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:08 am

flyfishwithme wrote:Otter,
Here is an extra penny. I found this in some old research that i did at the time of the autopsies:
It may interest you.
Interesting, especially the debris bit , that would explain why some of my flies work :D

The match the hatch size statistic, if it stood the test of very large sampling at the appropiate times would upset a lot of applecarts. However like all our surmise , even matched by some research it can really only be used as an indication of how we can improve the odds in our favour.

If you have more loose change lying around feel free to spend it.
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 pm

It's a bit unclear how to interpret the chart. Items which either "match the hatch" or are debris will also fit into either the "less than 5mm" or "larger than 5mm" categories.

Also, it could be argued that if an item didn't fall into the "match the hatch" category, you simply matched the wrong hatch.

The weirdest autopsy that I ever did on a trout was a brown that was stuffed -- and I mean coming out it's throat -- with wasps. This when there were noticeable numbers of Light Cahills on the water.
Bob