Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Re: Translating 600 years of usage

Post by flyfishwithme » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 am

This might help you. uilt for North Country Flies and it should work:
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 am

Cool chart.....i'm looking up your area on the map for intense study. :D Looking forward to July 2012..... ;) ..... :oops: did i say July 2012........... :P ........oh well, guess i did..... :o ............sure hope we can make it. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
paparex

Post by paparex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:01 am

Phillip,
Thank you for the chart!! Starting with this chart and my coming year's experience, I will attempt to create a chart of my own for my local waters. I see Yellow and Partridge for a Pale Watery Dun, etc., does anyone have a comment on Orange and Partridge? Red and Partridge? Green and Partridge? Any suggestions for a substitute for owl... illegal to harvest or possess owl feathers in my locale.
paparex

Post by paparex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Please forgive my poor nomenclature. I meant to list the bird first then the silk. Partridge and Green, Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Red
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

paparex - Asian Partridge (AKA Female Black Francilican Partridge) is said to be ideal match for many antique patterns that call for tawny owl. Here is a link to a site that sells Asian Partridge skins (scroll down the page about 1/4 of the way down and you will see it listed for $20):

http://www.mwflytying.com/new_stuff/ns_feathers.html
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:50 pm

paprex,

I've noticed that some of the older books list the flies in the manner you did, color of silk first.

As to the flies, I've found the Orange and Partridge (well waxed, almost to a brown) works well in smaller sizes during a BWO emergence.

Green and Partridge seems to work pretty well in size 12 and 14 during a Grannom hatch.

A Yellow and Partridge (well waxed to an olive) also seems to work well in smaller sizes for BWO during the hatch or when there are duns on the water.

I haven't used a Red and Partridge myself, so will defer to others.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Dang! That skin DOES look like an owl. Nice stuff.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:Another good example is the Iron Blue Dun. Both the popular Iron Blue Dun pattern and the Snipe and Purple can both be used for the natural. You select which one, based on your preference.

Mark

Mark, that raises a question I've wondered about for some time now. When considering what classic patterns to use to match the hatch and going by all the old books - do we even have those species of mayfly on this side of the pond? If so, what fly is an Iron Blue Dun? Or a Pale Watery or a Large Olive?

(Trout don't speak Latin, but when talking about bugs that's the only way everyone knows just which bug someone is talking about.)
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 pm

Ray, i've been dealing with Mike Hogue for years.....he's a good friend. Been to his shop in Freeville many times. He comes up with pretty cool stuff on occassion......sometimes things you won't find just anywhere. His prices are usually pretty fair. If he had kids, he'd be able to send one to college with what i've spent with him..... :lol: He use to have tying classes at his shop and i went to a few of those.....always a lotta fun. Usually see him 3/4 times a year at shows in the east. He use to do shows down here too, as his parents live not far from here. But he's stopped doing that. He's been working at the local Lowe's where he lives for the last few years. His wife is a tenured professor at Cornel (i think it is), University. He's a very good fisherman, and fly tyer.......been tryin' to get a book out for years. i sure hope he does one day......he knows materials very well. i've fished with him a few times, and he always keeps me laughing. He's got a twisted sense of humor. i try to send business his way when i can, but of course we have to look out for Jim. Main reason i'm telling you this, is because he also sometimes gets the Male partridge to the one you mentioned, and that is a great skin for Salmon flies. And i just happen to believe, that sooner or later.....YOUR going to get into tying the ULTIMATE flies.....and i don't nessessarily mean classics......such a B.S. term. i just mean flies with which you will want to incorporate the use of much more exotic and specialized feathers.....so keep Mike's site on your favorites.....he sometimes gets real nice dyed Amhearst tails and other cool stuff.....like Trag skins, etc. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 am

I picked up a great partridge skin from him at a small show he was at in my neck of the woods. a couple years back. He had tons of stuff, and I wish I had more money to spend, because the prices were very fair and the materials were quite good.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S