Sparse Dressing on large hooks discussion

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Sparse Dressing on large hooks discussion

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am

I may be swayed to the short body (or no body). This is fantastic. I have some Daiichi 1510 wet fly hooks, probably intended for egg patterns or some such, but I can see tying a hackle and tiny thorax and doing just fine. Nothing to do with my previous statements...but being flexible is more important than being right. Plus...look at that fly! Who could argue with that?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 am

That pattern is just Dainty AND Dangerous. Can't argue with that at all.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

William Anderson wrote:...but being flexible is more important than being right.

w
Being flexible IS being right.

dd

(If yo follow the link and click on that picture you'll see that big is beautiful).
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Sitting here tying an order of Stewart Black Spiders on Daiichi 1640 hooks, which seems to be the hook of choice (for this board, at least), and got to thinking that all the rest of the flies in the order are specified on Daiichi 1190 barbless hooks (and the same for my next order that includes the Black Spiders as well as other flies). I haven't offered the Stewart Spider on the barbless hooks because it looks "better" on the shorter hooks. However, much of this thread revolves around the premise that the longer hook doesn't matter to the fish, and in fact, Stewart cautioned against using short shank hooks.

Anyone here tie Stewart Spiders (or Bailey Spiders if you insist) on regular length hooks? Do the fish seem to care?
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:24 pm

CM I just started using Stewarts Black Spider day before yesterday. Our early inland trout season opened last Saturday. The Mustad 94840 was the hook of choice for these little #18's and they worked just fine. :) Oh yes, the micro barbs were squashed.

Regards, Jerry
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I haven't noticed any reluctant Trout using 1x long down eyed hooks. I haven't been able to locate any 1640's around here.
That includes Spider patterns or other style soft hackles.