Spring

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Spring

Post by DUBBN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:25 am

Spring is just around the corner! The trees along some of my favorite rivers are showing buds on their branches. Yesterday, while driving along the river I almost ran over a ground squirrel. Yep, Spring is in the air.
For the next 8 to 10 weeks I will be able to fish without having three layers of clothing under my waders. Dont get me wrong. I love Winter fishing, and it is the time of the year I normally catch my largest fish, but I am ready for longer days and warmer weather. For me, Winter is a time of Glo-Bugs as an attractor and small midge and baetis nymphs as my point flys. The takes are hardly noticeable.
Starting now I get to fish small (20-16) Olive or Muskrat Soft Hackles/Flymphs in anticipation of the BWO's that will be emerging in a few weeks. The midge/baetis hatch transitions nicely to caddis around the middle of April, and I have a nice assortment of PT Soft Hackles, Hares Ear , and Muskrat Flymphs tied and ready to go. Yep, I am really looking forward to fishing my wets. It seems to me that as the weather gets warmer the takes get more aggresive. Seems? I know they get more aggresive. Having a flymph on at the end of a drift, and having a trout slam the fly as it approaches the surface is what I am looking forward to!
As I write this, my little section of the world is under a severe storm warning. We are expecting 2 to 12 inches of snow in the next 36 hours. The snow will come as we always hope it does, but this is a Spring storm. It will produce alot of moisture, but the temperatures will remain moderate, barely dipping below freezing in the lower valleys and the 20's at most higher elevations.
Between now and Spring Runoff I expect to see plenty more signs of Spring. Perhaps I will get lucky like last year and stumble upon another new born fawn, or get cussed out by a Bald Eagle because I am too close to it's nest. In any case I will be out there armed with a wide variety of Flymphs and Soft Hackles.

Heres a few pics from last year just pryor to Runoff. Note the off colored water. In these conditions my Soft Hackles and Flymphs are still my top produers.

I dont tie my Flymphs with a bead, but as you can see here, I will slide a bead up the leader.

As you can probably tell. I am ready for Spring!
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Spring

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 am

Lovely fish. I like your idea of adding a bead to the line. I need to remember that trick the next time I go fishing.

Yeah, I am ready for spring too. We got another foot of snow yesterday and the local creeks are still frozen. Won't be long though...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi DUBBN,
We are all anxiously awaiting. The skunk was out again, the other day, but he got burried in about 10 inches of snow just yesterday. Monday, they are calling for 50 degrees. We'll see.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Soft-hackle, Howdy;
Saw your skunk ... he was flat on the center stripe of the hiway this past Wed. :lol:
Then we got another 4" Thurs. night. Awaiting the drop of the "other boot" today.....

DUBBN, Howdy;

Almost sounds like we might be neighbors..... I'm in the Sanpete Valley, Ut.
Nice fish.....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:14 pm

The storm didnt hit as hard as expected so I high tailed it to one of my favorite Freestones this morning.
Size 16 Muskrat Flymph did some damage.
I had a great day.

Had I been a betting man I would have wagered that my Olive SH would be the big producer. I caught all but one on the Muskrat.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh man am I jealous! You had a great day. Gorgeous photos, especially the one with the male trout in full spawning colors. Beautiful.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 am

Gorgeous fish!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:18 am

Jealous.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Thankx for all the cool pics...........what river are we talkin'? And is the fish in that last (bottom) pic, a hybred? ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:42 pm

willowhead wrote:Thankx for all the cool pics...........what river are we talkin'? And is the fish in that last (bottom) pic, a hybred? ;)
PM me and I will tell you the River. Good eye sir, that is a CutBow.