Fiberglass Fly Rod Question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jerry G

Re: Fiberglass Fly Rod Question

Post by Jerry G » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Ray finding the fiberglass fly rod site a couple years ago helped fire the interest in perhaps building a glass rod. Having built and fished a Dickerson 7012 cane rod for about five years gave me a bit of a feel for the slower end and something I grew to enjoy. Positive reviews for the Lami 7'6" 4wt made this blank about the most likely choice for the next build. So winter before last I ordered up the blank, component parts and started fishing this rod last spring. These rods at least in my casting ability are not distance rods. They also may suffer just a bit in accuracy in comparison to graphite of comparable length and line weight. You mention the feel of cane and I'm afraid that is going to depend upon the feel you are looking for. If it's the feel one gets once a bend is put in the rod from a good fish, perhaps. The Lami I built was called upon every time I hit the stream last year. These are smaller streams for the most part but what fun I had with this rod. Back to feel at least for me if it's the feel one gets from a cane rod that the rod is nearly casting itself I don't get that feel with the Lami. I suspect there's some different dynamics going on with cane to get that feel. In short I plan on fishing some of the same streams this year that I did last and the Lami will be the rod of choice for those streams.

Regards, Jerry
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:41 pm

My first fly rod, which I still have hanging on my studio wall, was an Eagle Claw (Wright-McGill). It is 8.5 foot, for line 7. I saved my "allowance" to purchase the rod and an automatic fly reel, which I don't have any longer. It would not pull in a trout, just the line, so I soon opted for a Sears "Ted Williams" single action reel. It worked better.

I may just look for the 6.5 foot Eagle Claw.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am

Vlad - You may be correct, as I am far from being an expert on old (or new either) fly rods. All I know is, that written in script on the bottom section above the cork, it says:
Wright & McGill
"3A" - 8' Fly Rod
The rod has what appears to be an anodized aluminum reel seat, fancy multi-colored windings, and measures 8 ft long when assembled. My 3/4 wt Battenkill reel balances it very nicely, and it casts a WF3F Clear Creek line like a charm.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Vlad

Post by Vlad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am

Tie2fish,

It is great that you are using and enjoying that rod. According to Johnson's book on Fiberglass Fly Rods, W&M model 3A appears in 1955 catalog, priced at $9.95. It is listed later as a a part of Champion series, as 3A-8' for #7 line.

I like to underline my glass rods too, depending on the situation. I find that above mentioned Lamiglas 7'6" #4 works great for #3 line for the late summer, low water fishing, when you need to cast further. Lighter line forms tighter loops with faster stroke and makes you feel the loop a bit more.
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Vlad,
nice photos and fly, too!

I've question about Lamiglas 7'6" #4. How many pieces of blank do you recommend?
Vlad

Post by Vlad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Kacbo,

Thanks for the compliment. Lamiglas uses different mandrels for their 2 and multipiece honey-glass models. Multi piece models use spigots, while two piece are tip over butt. I built the little 7' #3 in both 2 and 4 piece configurations and much prefer the two piece blank. Overall, 2 pc models have little more power, have less tip bounce and are lighter. All this equals to little better overall performance/versatility.
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Vlad,
Thanks a LOT!
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Ray;

All I use is fiberglass rods, my favorite is a Cortland Pro Crest 8' 5wt.

If you want advise about glass rods go to the following link: http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/

There's a lot of information on the Lamiglass 4wts.

Wayneb
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks guys. I have read all of your posts with great interest. Your comments/links have all been very helpful. Just the feedback I was looking for. Thanks again.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Vlad (or anyone else who can help me) - I bought the Lamiglas 7 ft 6" / 4 wt / 2 piece fiberglass blank (FL 904) and will be building a new fly rod over the next few weeks. I would like to know how many guides you used and what guide spacings you used? I am planning to use the Fuji Concept guides. I've used them on a number of other fly rods and really like them.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean