Fishing?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NJpatbee

Fishing?

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 pm

I am relatively new to this site and I am surprised about the lack of posts regarding the new trout season. For what it is worth I will give my report on the past weekend:

Water temperature 48F on a small wild trout stream in NJ as I began the afternoon fishing. Things were slow but I managed a healthy brookie on a Bead Head Hare's ear nymph (no, I am not a flymph purist). Later in the afternoon small black stoneflies started showing, and a few splashes could be seen but nothing really on the top. I switched to a purple and snipe SH and the trout jumped on it. A short while later a grey fluttering caddis dry fly did the trick - not a bad day this early in the season.

I apologize if I offended anyone talling about a bead head and a dry fly ;) , but the point is that the simple soft hackle proved itself again to be a valuable weapon in my arsenal.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Fishing?

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks for the report. The reports usually end up in odd places. I just mentioned my weekend in Central PA taking wild browns with a Hare's Ear and Partridge. It was drizzling and the water was very high and tough to get a read on. So I started with a wired body softy, trying to get down as low as possible, but I ended up taking all the browns on this one.

Softhackles only make sense to me when they make sense. Otherwise nymphs, dries and everything in between are the rule for the time.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi ,
Conditions are not yet right here, for fly fishing. I've seen a few bait fisherman risking our high, fast. muddy water, and some were doing very well. This has been an unsusually cold, wet, snowy, April, here, so far. We may not see any good conditions, at least in the river, for a while yet. Hopefully, this indicates we might be in for a cool summer. I certainly hope so.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 pm

After a really good day last Saturday, I thought that I was going to make a serious run at a 100 trout month. With the rain we've had, though, it's not going to happen, at least this weekend.

I will say, though, that the Waterhen Bloa has been as good to me this April as it has every April for the last five or six.
Bob
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Howdy All;

With a State wide Avg. Snow pack of something like 140% .. seems like everyone is waiting for the boots to drop.
Most of the Weather-Guessers are compareing this to the Spring of 1983. From what I hear there were some
MONSTER Floods in '83. Washed the town of Thisle away... No dam bust just melt-off.
Some of the Ski resorts are thinking of staying open PAST Memorial Day!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 am

Same very high, somewhat poor conditions in PA too. I had to nix the lower water (and the crowd) and head for the high water. The tributaries are my favorites anyway. A little 2-3 mile hike does the body good. And the solidtude is a welcome experience after a long winter. Absolutely gorgeous (higher than usual) water, and hungry unmolested browns in just the spots they were supposed to be waiting.

I'm going to be in syracuse this weekend. Sun, Mon, Tues. Can anyone recommend a spot to fish (tribs or not) and would anyone like to join me. I have a free pass from the family for either sun or mon and I dont mind a 2-3 hour drive. Anyone free?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:53 am

William,
I am not sure of the conditions, but Nine Mile Creek running from Camillus to Marcellus, NY near Syracuse is very good trout water. If it is not too crowded, it may be very good. There are other, smaller flows in the area, too. Michael McGraw lives in Liverpool, NY, right near Syracuse. You will have to check with him about conditions.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 am

Hi-Ya Doin (Syra-speak) Mark & William
Nine Mile creek is still off color last I knew, I will check again in person Fri. or Saturday. Its been a rainy sloppy mess here
since the snow started melting. Of the local small streams most are either blown out or dropping after the last rainy spell. I haven't even tried to go fishing yet but next week I have off so I'm gonna get out and we can meet up.
I'll keep you posted.

Mike Mc
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 am

That's really disappointing to hear. I only have Sun and Mon in Central NY so I'm going to have to make something happen. I'll keep looking around and offer up an idea, then you can shoot it down before I go out to find out for myself. What about steelhead or maybe lake trout? I've never tried either, but I'm going to be there...so I'll just do what I have to. Thoughts?

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:44 am

HI William,
I just called the Salmon river hotline at the dam, 2500 cfs till noon today. I will call later to see what it drops to.
2500cfs can be dangerous on that river. As for my thoughts I still have a few calls to make, at the moment I have to head back to my terminal for the afternoon run.Be back later today.