Finally Went Fishing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

michaelgmcgraw

Finally Went Fishing

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 pm

We Finally got out! I took Spider to a new spot. We drove over to Jordan N.Y to a small spring feed brook,It drizzled & snowed but was still warm enough out to feel like staying. This little stream flows through a damp over grown scrub hardwoods.
I call it a Troll woods because there's scattered ruins all through the area comprised of handfitted gray stone blocks left
over from mostly buried early Erie Canal mills and small factories or homes-no cement all cut and placed blocks very spooky.
We both used small dun gray flymphs or soft hackles with lite speckled or dun speckled partridge hackle. we hop-scotched up from the bottom of a long high banked run. The banks are tree covered mud,very hard to climb in or out. Lots of tree limbs and blow downs in the water, lots of climbing around. Spider caught and released a couple respectable Browns, I'm fighting a bad cold so I didn't feel like much but did get a small shiny streambred Brown.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Finally Went Fishing

Post by letumgo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Congratulations Michael. I am looking forward to doing some fishing, once the creeks improve. We got a ton of rain again last night, so the streams are even higher than they had been over the weekend.

Did you take any pictures of your fish? I'd love to see them if you did.

Hope you feel better soon.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 am

Hi Letumgo
I don't have a camera, Spider has one but hasn't learned how to use it yet. Definitely would have needed a water proof one.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Mike, try the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW.....great little camera. Misa has one.....it shoots down to at least 50 feet below the surface. So unless your scuba diving..... :D
Best of luck this season and safe wading. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks Mark, I'm techno-challenged and slowly making it out of the mid 20th century. I will take your advice on the Olympus Stylist . How is it for taking pictures of flies?
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed May 11, 2011 5:45 am

Every time I even think I'm going to get out to fish, the weather has a different idea. The river level is finally receding to safer, more favorable conditions the weather has a different idea. I thought-maybe you can get to fish this weekend. HA-forget about that. Rain is in the forecast from Friday through next Tuesday.

It's gotta stop, sometime.
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Sorry Michael, i didn't see your question sooner. That camera takes really nice macro shots actually. It has a macro setting. Misako is good with it.....so she does most of our picture takin'......although her cell phone took a dip in the Beaverkill the other day........ :roll: That Olympus is a great little camera for that price range though. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you Mark much obliged !