Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt rods

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 pm

On another thread there was some discussion about using long rods and short line for fishing spiders (ala Mike Conner). I called Global Dorber about the price of a finished 10 footer. The 4 weight, including tube and sock is $135, finished. I imagine the other weights would about the same. The blank is about $66 if you want to build one yourself. The finished long rods aren't a normally stocked item, so the rod will be built for you. I ordered mine today.

Global Dorber's number is 1-888-483-2780.

Now to find some polypro mason's line.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
skunkaroo

Re: Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt rods

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for doing the leg work, Ron.

Man that is cheap (even with the exchange). I don't think I can pass it up--provided I can slip it past the boss LOL!

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
RnF

Post by RnF » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Ohh :shock: That's a great deal. I am going to have to get one of these. Maybe their bass fly rod too.

What's the action on these rods?
Scott D
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm not sure what the action is on the 10 foot rods. I'm hoping for a bit soft, but I'll see after I get it.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
RnF

Post by RnF » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:I'm not sure what the action is on the 10 foot rods. I'm hoping for a bit soft, but I'll see after I get it.
Maybe I will wait till you get yours. I am wanting it to be fairly soft as well. Let us know when you get it.
Scott D
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Looks like it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to get it built and in my hands. will let you know how it casts.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 pm

I just bough a Cortland 10 ft 4wt that came from GB. It is a med fast action and it does very well with a WF5 on it. It was $120.00. I bought it from an individual who brought it to this side of the pond. I did a search and found that they are not very expensive at all.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Now to find some polypro mason's line.

REE
Good luck with that. All the mason's line I've been able to find is nylon. I did a fairly extensive search about a year and a half ago and came up with nothing on this side of the pond that is even close to the right diameter. I found two possible substitutes, either a Spectra arborist's throw line or a polypro thread that could be used to make a furled leader. I bought a spool of the polypro thread and it furls OK, but the the resulting leader is so light that the "wind resistance" makes it hard to cast. I decided I much preferred regular UNI-thread leaders treated with mucilin. If you want to try the polypro thread, I'd be happy to send you the spool (LOTS left). Perhaps a better alternative would be to just send a ten spot to one of our European members and have him send you a spool of the real stuff. Of course, Mike also suggested that a high pound test dacron line would work also. That you can find, and treated with mucilin it would float.
Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 am

I recently received a 100 m spool of 2.0 mm polypropylene braided cord in green. Here is where I ordered it.

http://www.TheEssentialsCompany.co.uk
Labels, Markers, Ties and Twines online The Essentials Company, Springfields, Station Road, Pulham St Mary, Diss, United Kingdom IP21 4QQ Tel +44 (0)1379 608899

On this page, scroll down to "Coloured Polypropylene Braided Cord"
http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/C ... ded%20Cord

With shipping from UK, the total value of my order was £15.40 which is about $US22.70 at current exchange rates.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 am

Bert wrote:I recently received a 100 m spool of 2.0 mm polypropylene braided cord in green. Here is where I ordered it.

http://www.TheEssentialsCompany.co.uk
Labels, Markers, Ties and Twines online The Essentials Company, Springfields, Station Road, Pulham St Mary, Diss, United Kingdom IP21 4QQ Tel +44 (0)1379 608899

On this page, scroll down to "Coloured Polypropylene Braided Cord"
http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/C ... ded%20Cord

With shipping from UK, the total value of my order was £15.40 which is about $US22.70 at current exchange rates.
And...you have tried it? Using what rod and what casting stroke? On water, grass, snow..... indoors?
Come on, Bert - we are waiting here!!!!!!

(This was the only company I found, too. Or.... when I found it, I stopped looking. Found nothing here in Sweden (only 3mm red line for tents, and very pricey).

dd