What rod do you use?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Re: What rod do you use?

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 pm

MuddlerDaddy wrote:Hey Aaron,
Whats the biggest size fly you can use on the one weight and why did you choose that rod?

Rick
A #8 Czech nymph with a 5/32nd tungsten bead... but not very often. :D It'll toss anything up to small streamers without any issues, but really diminutive light flies are what it's made for. I can get away with flies around #16-12 for most of my local fishing and that's generally the range it's well suited for.

I initially chose that rod simply because I wanted the lightest moderate action rod I could find. I ended up with something totally sublime. I got tired of horsing fish in with rods designed for distance casting and not for fishing (and I would include some other 1wts such as the Sage TXL in the former group). I was lucky enough to find it tucked away in the back of a local fly shop. Some pour soul had plunked down a deposit four years previous and never bothered to come back for it. His or her loss, my major gain.

I've fished everything from 4" shiners all the way up to 16" cutthroat with it and every fish has been a joy to catch.

Whoops! I'm gushing over a chunk of graphite. :oops:

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I have printed out all the information in this thread on upstream fishing with the long rod and tactical teams. I don't trust silicon memory. I will read and re-read and then practise. I plan to begin with just a dry fly until I get the hang of it, and then take it from there. I know of a specific spot where big lake grayling feed in a stream in the autumn. This place is difficult to fish with a standard fly rod - at least for a duffer. Next year, or the year after that, I will be there with the long rod, short line and killing flies. Oh -I'm there already!!

dd
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 pm

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 pm

EDITED BY FORUM MODERATOR:

My fishing experience differs from Oliver Edwards' statement, that down and across isn't very successful. When the trout are on emerging caddis its the way I prefer to fish. I enjoy watching the upstream purists cast till their arm is about to fall off. It's not uncommon to watch their entire afternoon of fishing, and not see them catch a single fish. When the down and across is working, it's not uncommon to land 30 fish in a couple hours fishing. When I am fishing the down and across most other anglers think i am throwing streamers. I let them think what they may.
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 pm

EDITED BY MODERATOR:

He is not fishing emerging caddis, he is fishing a team of North Country spiders.

Down and across is invariably far less successful than any other method, except in some very specific circumstances and hatches.

TL
MC
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

EDITED BY MODERATOR:
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 pm

EDITED BY MODERATOR:
Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 am

As I am not familar with match rods I presume the reason for the sliding reel seats to be desirable is to allow for reel positioning that allows better balance for the type of casting required ???

Whats problems are associated with the rings normally fitted to match rods ?
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 am

Otter wrote:As I am not familar with match rods I presume the reason for the sliding reel seats to be desirable is to allow for reel positioning that allows better balance for the type of casting required ???

Whats problems are associated with the rings normally fitted to match rods ?
I think Mike is out fishing.
Match rods are used with very thin lines, corresponding to 5, 6, 7, 8x. Especially the tiptop is of very narrow diameter. You are quite right about the reel seat. I bought a match rod a couple of years ago, aimed for spider fishing, but had to pass it on - un-tried - to my brother who was in desperate need of equipment (and no money). He uses it for tench. The rings were indeed narrow.

dd
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 am

So, is a match rod a fly rod? Or is it more like a dappling rod/cane pole/Tenkara type rod?

Wayneb