What rod do you use?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: What rod do you use?

Post by daringduffer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:15 pm

wayneb wrote:So, is a match rod a fly rod? Or is it more like a dappling rod/cane pole/Tenkara type rod?

Wayneb
In it's original application it is used with a fixed spool reel (something like this http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/op ... ffair.html, a float and some kind of bait while competition fishing for different species. My brother has a small spinning reel, small float and usually corn as bait when fishing for Imagetench.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

In the interest of the forum, I have modified the language of a couple posts in this thread (clearly indicated by the phrase "EDITED BY MODERATOR:").
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Yes. It looked like the thread needed a good trim. Thanks for keeping it civil, Ray.

Passions run wild when talking about Soft Hackles... ;)

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Yes, thank you Ray. This is an interesting and informative thread, and best keep things civil. I hate to see something compelling sidetracked.

Most know I typically fish a 10' 3wt on streams in my area, which I love. I really have a hard time reaching for another rod when the opportunity to get out presents itself. I have lots of other sticks in the arsenal, but I just love the Greys Streamflex as a smooth medium action rod. Very versatile. Although...I have recently developed a vintage Fenwick fiberglass fetish and in the event that I find a FF 5wt, I will certainly spend some time with it.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 pm

I have recently developed a vintage Fenwick fiberglass fetish
Ha...then the FF79, FF84, and the semi-mythical FF83 will be your huckleberry(ies). :) (I have a thing for early model "translucent" brown blanks...anything with an A, B, or C serial model will be outstanding.)
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm

wayneb wrote:So, is a match rod a fly rod? Or is it more like a dappling rod/cane pole/Tenkara type rod?

Wayneb
The term "match rod" is used to describe a typical rod once customarily used for competition fishing, a "fishing match". These rods can be used for various things, either float fishing or legering, and usually have an action which makes them sensitive but still powerful enough to handle large fish. They are used with either free running centrepin, (not common now),or fixed spool reels, for things like long trotting, light float,( bobber), fishing, and light legering. Basically designed as "general purpose" coarse fishing rods.

They are not "designed" as fly rods, but while looking for rods which would suit me for various fly-fishing methods, I found that some match rods had an almost ideal action for a number of things. I was unable to find the blanks I wanted for this, ( although some are sometimes available) but was able to find plenty of "ready made " match rods which used suitable blanks in the length and action I wanted. The sliding reel seats, or grips, or rings, are advantageous because one may position the reel wherever one wishes to obtain the best "balance" and/or hand positioning. many modern match rods no longer have sliding fittings, the reel seat is fixed. The rings on match rods are invariably "stand-off" rings, also referred to as "high-bridge" rings, designed to keep the line well away from the rod and prevent it "sticking" and/or tangling when wet etc. Which is a severe hindrance when casting light terminal tackle. These rings often have very small diameters and a fly line may not pass through them. When fly fishing with such a rod "stand-off" rings are not required, because the line does not pass through the rings when casting, and larger diameter rings may be required anyway simply in order to be able to thread the line through.

There are match rods with varying actions and weights, but most "light" match rods will be excellent for wet fly fishing because of their design. I prefer rods with a "crisp" action, and what would be called a "fast" or "tip action" in a fly rod. You need to at least handle a rod to get an idea of whether it will be suitable for your purposes.

One secondary advantage of these rods is that they may be obtained very cheaply.

If you don't want to go to the trouble, then a ten foot purpose built fly rod, ( Like the Greys 10 Ft #3 which Aaron reviewed most excellently), is probably your best bet if you like the action. There were a number of 11 ft and 11 ft 3" rods produced at one time purportedly specifically for this type of fishing, but I did not like the weight or the action on any of them, and they have more or less disappeared now anyway.

Obtaining "fly rod" blanks in the weight and action required in these lengths is often difficult or impossible. You wont find a fourteen foot #3 rated blank anywhere, and in the final analysis it doesn't matter what the blank may have been designed for as long as it suits the purpose for which one wishes to use it. Because of the rod and method used, the concept of "line weight" is not relevant. These rods are used with a casting line of about one and half times the rod length, ( or less at first, just one rod length), and no more. I have weighed some of the lines I use and they approximate to the weight of similar lengths of #3 #4 or # 5 AFTM lines. The main target though is to use a line which can be cast easily and precisely merely with a flick of the rod, which allows the leader ( cast of flies) to land very gently, and causes no disturbance at all.

Using these rods one is able to actually follow the advice given in many books over the years, and "keep your line off the water" ( the casting line is meant here of course), this is simply impossible with a "short" rod and a modern heavy plastic fly line. It is however essential to success with many techniques.

This is actually shown using a nine foot rod in the clip I posted for upstream spider fishing. This works of course, as shown, but it works even better with a longer rod. here is the clip again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-hQAD1A2FI

A lot of the time, because these rods are light and easy to handle despite their length, I will fish "single handed". With the rods of this length, ( and more, up to eighteen feet was not unusual,) once in common use this was not possible as the rods weighed several pounds, and single handed use was simply not practicable.

Using these rods allows you to use methods and flies which simply wont work well, if at all, on short rods and modern plastic lines used in what is now the "conventional" manner. You can still use all the other techniques as well if you wish.

TL
MC
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Basically the only practical limitation is also the main advantage, which is the length. This may make using such a rod difficult or impossible on small overgrown streams.

TL
MC
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Mike Connor, Howdy;

If I remember back a few days you were mentioning the use of various Daceon lines for the main line.
Question;
Do you carry a predetermined length or just fill the spool and use what one needs to "do the job"?
Do you use a regular fly type reel or ?????

Thanks for your time .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:28 pm

hankaye wrote:Mike Connor, Howdy;

If I remember back a few days you were mentioning the use of various Daceon lines for the main line.
Question;
Do you carry a predetermined length or just fill the spool and use what one needs to "do the job"?
Do you use a regular fly type reel or ?????

Thanks for your time .

hank
I use a length of line, usually between 15...25 feet, depending on the purpose and conditions. I use the lightest reel I can find, ( which is a Vivarelli graphite, and I have been using them for years), and I have some ordinary fly-line backing. I like braided Terylene for this, but it's not critical, you can use whatever you like.

I use these reels for other stuff as well. I have a few of them. The reel weighs 100g. It will take a standard WF-5-F und 50 yds of backing, but I only use heads or half lines. It is a so called "semi-atomatic", and uses a lever to retrieve line. It is NOT possible to retrieve line against a fish, fish must be fought as usual by handling the line, but the slack can be taken up immediately by using the lever. The reel on a long rod is basically only a line storage device, and is useful when one hooks larger fish, as one can then let them run if desired.

One can of course use the rig single handed or double handed, as you only need one hand to hold the rod and operate the reel.

TL
MC
Last edited by Mike Connor on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Mike Connor, Howdy;

Thanks, so, I reckon that the method is pull out what is required, and keep the rest for fighting...

cordage ... fisher's choise.

Thanks again.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin