What rod do you use?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Re: What rod do you use?

Post by Theroe » Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 am

Tom Smithwick wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:53 am
Dana, That story about the Japanese factory being destroyed has a familiar ring about it. Any chance the custom rod you have is based on a blank marketed by Dale Clemens Custom Tackle under the name "apogee"? If so, I can add a bit to the story.
Tom – I wish I knew more to the story but it was quite sometime ago. Queried the master last night while talking to him on the phone, but his memory isn’t what it used to be..... Rods and reels are more of a personal choice than anything else. There is so much good material on the market now I think it’s all relatively equal. For me, if I don’t notice that the rod and reel are in my hand, it’s a good set up!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu May 07, 2020 10:12 pm

MuddlerDaddy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 am
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to what rod you use for soft hackle/spider fishing (such as length,weight and action ?

Thanks,
MD
For Spiders, I like my Scott A4 1004. I fish it casting upstream with double the rod length of line out of the rod tip. It's perfect for this technique, but that's just my opinion. It's a medium fast rod with a soft tip with a really good strong lower section with a progressive taper that in my opinion again helps with hook sets.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:05 am

I have a couple of those rods, I love them. The 9' 5wt. sees a lot of water these days.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 am

For big rivers That I know I will be nyphing almost exclusively I use an 11 foot , 3 weight Syndicate nymphing rod. Surprisingly, with the sensitive tip section it makes an amazing soft hackle rod for swinging wets. I have an inexpensive Lamson Liquid reel on it

For an all around nymphing, streamer, dry fly (if I am forced to throw dries), rod I like my LOOP Opti-Nymph 5wt. With an old LOOP model 3 reel.

For swinging soft hackles I use a Blue Halo 5 wt fiberglass rod. 8 footer. In a pinch I can nymph with an indicator/bobber with it. I have a cheapo Wright McGill Dragonfly reel on it. I am waiting for the reel to fall apart at any moment.

For Streamers I throw a bottom of the line Redington 6wt. I have an Okuma Reel with sink tip and Ross Canyon loaded with weight forward.

For loaning out I have an old Sage Fli in 5 wt. , and 8.5 feet long. I have an old Clearwater reel on it.

I am not well versed in rod make up. This assortment catches fish, makes my days on the water enjoyable, and none of them make my elbow or shoulder hurt after a session on the rivers.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 am

If I recall correctly (I haven't counted them), I "think" I have only three graphite rods: a 9' Orvis T3 4wgt; a 8' Orvis Silver Label 8 wgt; and a Hardy 9' 5 wgt. All my other fly rods are bamboo rods, most of them being rods that I assembled from blanks that I purchased from other rod makers / companies. Only 4 or 5 of my bamboo rods were assembled by cane rod makers.

Years ago, I bought a few, actually quite a few, Partridge-of-Redditch impregnated rod blanks and started to assemble "my own" fly rods (?). I got hooked on fishing cane rods and gradually began to fish wood more often than not. In the past 2 or 3 years, I've culled down my inventory of rods and given many to my 3 usual fishing "Amigos" and 2 fishing "Amigas (?)" so that they can enjoy fishing "wood."

Basically, no matter what rod or reel I choose to fish with on a certain day, I use that rod to fish soft hackles, spiders, nymphs or dry flies. I seldom fish streamers but when I do, I usually fish one of my 5 wgt rods.

Thus, I have no favorite rod / reel set-up for fishing soft hackles. I decide which rod to use depending on the water that I'm fishing that day and then have at. Cheers.

Bob
Caster1

Post by Caster1 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 pm

I have two rods that I use for nymphing. They are both from the mid-late 80's. My rod of choice for small to mid sized streams is a SAGE LL 9' 4wt. I like the soft tip and it has a very sensitive feel. For the larger waters I like my WINSTON IM6 8 1/2' 5wt. This rod has more backbone than the SAGE and is better on windy days. I have tried a 10' 3wt GREY's but I like the feel of the SAGE better.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

“Fish wood” is a very interesting choice of words!!

I would say “fish grass”, but I am not interested in inciting a flame war similar to alt. tasteless versus rec.pets.cats saga of years past......

Although it would be fun :shock:
Soft and wet - the only way....
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am

Theroe wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
LOL!--Here's an exceptional piece of lumber: an Allcock 7' Greenheart with a 2 5/8" Hardy Sunbeam:

I first cast it about a decade ago when visiting Ireland. A friend owned it. Looked for one for 8 years--in Ireland, in the UK, in the US--no luck. I finally wrangled from him both the rod and the reel. It casts a nice 3-weight, is actually pleasant and light and hand, and is simply beautiful too.

As for grass rods--it's all about the river and the flows on a given day--hard to generalize.

bb
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm

bearbutt wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am
Theroe wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
LOL!--Here's an exceptional piece of lumber: an Allcock 7' Greenheart with a 2 5/8" Hardy Sunbeam:

Now that is some serious craftsmanship. That thing is outrageously gorgeous.