Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Post by wayneb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:22 am

Hi Hank;

I haven't completed my forms yet but, I have two friends with forms I can borrow that live nearby.

I've never tried the stuffed ham, I know it's a local delicacy but just haven't had the occasion to ty it.

Wayneb
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:57 pm

wayneb wrote:Hi William;

Don't try any bamboo fly rods, the addiction is worse than glass! I've already got a 7wt bamboo taper picked out for bass fishing, Payne's 8 1/2ft, 3pc, Canadian Canoe rod, it's a real cannon. I'm just trying to refine my ideas on the ideal bamboo rod for swinging wets, I've tried a couple I really like 8ft & 7 1/2ft Leonard tapers but looking for one a little longer.

There's something magical about casting something made of bamboo, there's nothing quite like it! It doesn't hurt that I will have made it myself either!

Wayneb
Wayne,

My friend "Mike Brave" built two new rods during last winter. Both were something extra. One was Paul Young's "Driggs River Special", the other Dickerson's "7613". The Dickerson is a very capable casting instrument. It felt as if I could drive in a nail from 40 feet distance. I hope he will build me one for windy conditions. I want the Driggs too. (I am quite content if I can borrow them once in a while). I have no recommendation for you, I just share your joy of that casting feeling offered by a good bamboo rod. I have two glass rods I will never part with for that same reason and likewise two carbon sticks. A good rod is a good rod. I'm a mediocre fisherman no matter what rod I use.

Good luck planning and planing.

dd
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Don't try any bamboo fly rods, the addiction is worse than glass!

Wayneb
I have no doubt you're exacty right. I'm on a slow path in that direction. When there is less on my plate, I can see building these rods becoming another obsession. :roll:
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:56 pm

William Anderson wrote:

Don't try any bamboo fly rods, the addiction is worse than glass!

Wayneb
I have no doubt you're exacty right. I'm on a slow path in that direction. When there is less on my plate, I can see building these rods becoming another obsession. :roll:
:lol:

Yup....then vintage reels and silk. :lol:

Stay away, stay far, far away!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi Wayneb,

I think that you do not use a bamboo rod because it is the best option to fish with flyms or spiders. If you wish to lift as much line of the water as you can dont choose a bamboo rod. A rod in bamboo longer than 8 feet becomes to heavy and if you try to make a ninefooter for # 4 it will be so flexible that we don't like it anymore because we are use carbon rods to much. If you like to fish with a bamboo rod because whatever the reason is there are disadvances but go fishing with it because you like it. There are some limitations but to overcome them will be a challenge.

My last rod is a 8 footer for a 5 line: Gould Jwulff RR-151. I cannot say anything about the rod because it is not ready yet. My plan is to use it in the trout ponds we have here in Holland.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm

from http://mars.ymex.com/~s-19816/spo.htm

Kenneth Bostrom has been making these rods since the seventees. Bottom piece bamboo, then two pieces of carbon fibre. Separate handle to use with the carbon only. Some swear by it, others find them cumbersome. They are called "Rackelhanen" because of the bastardization.
Namnet Rackelhane kommer från fågeln som är en korsning (bastard) mellan en Orrtupp, Lyrurus t. tetrix och en Tjäderhöna,Tetrao u. urogallus.
Same same but different: http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10019.htmImage

dd
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:19 pm

VERY Cool fly.........great design/& concept for fishing it.....now what's sposed to be the advantage concerning that boo butted rod??????? i trust it's not just a gimmick? ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:52 am

Ruard makes some very good points. Also don't expect any 100' casts. 'Boo has a way of separating the men from the boys. :lol: It can be a cruel, cruel mistress. It can be very tempermental. It will humble you. Always remember it's not about you, it's about the rod and the fish and the moment. Let the rod do it's magic and it will bring out the best in you.

:D

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:47 am

kanutripr wrote:Ruard makes some very good points. Also don't expect any 100' casts. 'Boo has a way of separating the men from the boys. :lol: It can be a cruel, cruel mistress. It can be very tempermental. It will humble you. Always remember it's not about you, it's about the rod and the fish and the moment. Let the rod do it's magic and it will bring out the best in you.

:D

Vicki
Spot on! When I'm relaxed my bamboo rods are astonishing at normal fishing distance. If I get too excited they are just rods. As always, one has to adapt to the rod. There are tapers of all kinds - some easier to adapt to for the "fast carbon (wo)man". I fished my Anderberg 7'9'' #4-5 this season; lift, cast, lift, cast, lift, cast. The tip protects light tippets very well. I need more time at the water to even come close to what it is capable of.

W-h - I guess this Rackelhanen rod is his way to combat the line control issue with cane rods.

dd
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 am

Hi All;

what I'm looking to accomplish with a realtively long(8ft plus) bamboo rod is a gentle, open loop cast which a slow bamboo rod almost forces you to perform. I wanted something longer to help with managing long leaders and multiple flies.

I cast a couple of rods that seemed ideal for this to me and actually felt much longer than they were, first was a Leonard 50DF 8ft 5wt, second a Leonard 39DH 7 1/2ft 5wt. Both were a pleasure to cast, light in the hand and cast open loops easily, the 39DH was slightly faster than the 50DF.

What I was hoping to find is something a little longer, say 8 1/2 to 9ft. I know long rods can be somewhat fatiguing but if I can cast a 9ft 9wt fiberglass fly rod, throwing Deer hair Bass bugs for hours on end, I think I can do the same for a couple of flymphs. The trick is having a well balanced outfit, for the glass rod, I had to put a lot of lead in the reeel to reach a good balance then casting became much less effort. Besides I'm not looking to cast 100ft, more like 30 to 45ft.

I know someday my muscles will not what they are now but, for now it's not a big deal.

Wayneb