Fishing Deep

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

5feathers

Fishing Deep

Post by 5feathers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 pm

If the pure method of fishing flymphs, spiders, and winged wet flies disdains the use of weight how do you target fish in deep runs or pocket water? I realize there is mending involved but that's still not enough to reach the deep fish. Are the deep feeding trout left for other fishermen and other techniques? I just can't reach the rocks.
Thanks,
Bruce :?:
tie2fish

Re: Fishing Deep

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 am

A voice of reason speaks!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
RnF

Post by RnF » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am

tie2fish wrote:A voice of reason speaks!
Aye,

I think folks get too caught up in doing things a certain way and have to do them that way at all times.

Like Mike said, you won't have as much luck if you fish the same technique all the time. It's just like the dry fly purists who only fish dry flies no matter what. It's just non sense if you ask me. Having many tricks up the sleeves is best. Use the old true techniques, but don't forget about modern ways as well.

I often fish soft hackles just like I do any old regular nymph, with weighted split shots and an indicator. It's very affective. I am out to catch fish, not to practice casting.
Scott D
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 am

Sometimes you just have to get the flies down to the fish. This is a very nice post.

I'm a believer.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:59 pm

You can simply add some shot to the leader. Keep in mind that some insects emerge at the bottom or close to it and then float/swim up to the surface. Fishing the right amount of shot, the right flymph and using the Leisenring Lift in this situation can mean big fish. Also a short hackle nymph ( in the round so to speak) tumbled down the bottom of a steam can be very effective. Look for a flash in the water or a tap on the line.
Jim
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi All: I realized this after fishing spiders using the traditional method last year. I couldn't figure out how one could do very with this method unless fish were feeding on or near the surface. I was afraid to post such ideas because I thought I would be tramping on toes. I agree that the fish dictate what method is best used on a particular day. I think flymphs are beautiful and I'll continue to fish them, but as the fish dictate. Thanks for all of your opinions and help.
Bruce :)
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:42 pm

I guess I'll add my two cents as I did on the old forum regarding getting deep. First, These flies were not tied weighted. Sure they may have used a little tinsel or wire to help the situation, but these were really used, I believe to add a little flash and make the fly stronger.

I think we've got to remember that lines, especially the old silk lines, in order to be used for dry fly fishing, needed to be treated. Untreated lines would probably sink better, pulling the fly down to deeper depths. The same goes for a well-soaked, gut leader.

Today, I get deeper using a full sinking fly line, when the method calls for it. I carry this with me on a spare spool in my vest. Shortening the leader, some, and fishing on the full sinking line gets the fly down for me. This is especially good in the springtime when the water is faster & deeper.

As the season progresses and the water gets slower and lower, longer leaders on a floating line do a great job. You need to judge the current speed, and cast the fly further up river to give it the appropriate time to sink to the depth you desire.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:15 am

Hey 5feathers,

Would you consider adding a short length of sinking line to the leader assembly you showed me? I realize that wouldn't do for high-sticking, but in a situation with deeper water and a little more water to cover, I seems like that might get the mid of the leader down without creating a knuckle from the split shot.

Would it be best to add a short piece of sinking line to the end of your floating line and then use a short leader? This would all be very experimental to me, so I'm just asking. What are some other ways of getting these unweighted flies down quick and deep?

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:40 am

For what ever reason I have bypassed this thread till this morning. I like others was concerned that I would get the razzberry's for talking about weight. My fishing partner and I have fished all winter and if it weren't for weight we would not have caught anything.
What I do is fish S/H's with weight and a nymph as the point fly. I also use a sinking leader, either by Orvis or Airflo and then I still, on occasions have to use a little weight, no lead.
Last fall I happened to be on a streach of the Madison when another board member talked me into using garden hackle, I as lead astray, and was seduced into thinking this was the right thing to do.. The water was running full because the damn was busted and it was had to fish let alone catch anything. So we threw GH'S with weight and caught the wiley trouts and that is a trick to have that much weight on the end of a 4 wt.
Although GH's are not made with silk, feather and fur they don't have wings. :lol: :oops:
I hope there is no repercussions for this violation of the unwritten code.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 am

I might be able to help here. A number of years ago Orvis sold a set of add on weighted leaders (Maybe still do) for this purpose. What I personalty do is ,fish a weighted bead head nymph and add a dropper ( about 20 inches) , when I'm fishing a short fast run.

Best

John Dunn
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle