question: Top 5 flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: question: Top 5 flies

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Soft-hackle wrote: It's a great fly, highly touted by Ray to take, browns, brooks and bows.
I'm always amused that when people talk about "Bergman wet flies", they're always referring to the winged wets in the color plates in Trout. If they had bothered to read the text, they're know that Ray was fond of wingless wets, and none more than the Orange Fishhawk. (I believe it's the single fly, wet or dry, mentioned the most times in that book, although I haven't actually counted.)

It's also worth noting that the Orange Fishhawk in no way resembles the Fishhawk, a winged monstrosity with a jungle cock eye.
Bob
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 am

Great article, Mark. I hadn't read that in a few years and would have never remembered the Orange Fishhawk fly. I get enamoured by the Hares Ear or March Brown ties that you showed and missed the fancy one. I'll have to add a few of these. I almost landed a copy of Bergman's book a couple months ago, but haven't committed. It's probably time.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 am

Mark,

Wonderful article!
I was drooling over the Bergman wet fly plates in the early sixties, determined to tie flies just like those the Dr. Edgar Burke had painted. Unfortunately, so were many others, with the result that wet flies were grossly overdressed for the next forty years (1938, IIRC was the first ed of "Trout", but "Fishing with Plug, Fly and Bait" was IMO, an even better Bergman book in some respects and had plenty of plates). It may be the over-dressing of "Bergman" flies that led to the decline in use of wet flies, as much as the increased interest in nymph fishing. (What is a Prince Nymph but a Coachman with a bad hair day?)

I still have, and carry, boxes of Bergman-style wet flies. They are just bloody beautiful!! However, before I fish one I clip away half the wing and most of the throat. It hurts, but it works. :|

Walter Dower painted the fly plates for A.J. McClane's superb work "The Practical Fly Fisherman" (1953). The plates have since been lost so the revised version of the book in 1977 lacks them. Nevertheless, below is a photo of A.J.'s favorites wet flies (sorry for the quality of the shot, it was taken in a rush) from the 1953 copy. Notice #15 has the hackle sparse and back, as you do, unlike the Bergman plate which has upright and relatively thick hackle (IIRC -- my books are still packed from a move).

Best regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm

I've read both of Bergman's books. It was my understanding that the OFH was tied originally as a dry fly. I'm wondering if the plates in Trout are showing it as such. I'm not positive if the fly is shown in the wet fly plates. I'd have to check. I also think the gradual disappearance of the brook trout contributed, somewhat to the decrease in the usage of a lot of these brightly colored flies. Brookies would hit just about anything. After the introduction of the browns from Europe, I understand there was a lot of argument against them cause they would not hit these flies as readily as brook trout. Andy Brasko still fishes these flies and John Bonasera loves to tie them, too. I've never met Don Bastian, but he surely does a beautiful job on the "classic" wets.

I have not seen the McClane's book I don't believe. I did borrow, a lot, a copy of his wonderful Fishing Encyclopedia from the local library many years ago. I basically learned to tie flies from it. These flies certainly brings back memories. We all drooled over Dr. Burke's beautiful plate. :)

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Mark,

A.J. McClane was my hero, a true Renaissance Man, an impression that just strengthened over the years. What an amazing but humble man!
His "The Practical Fly Fisherman" is probably available in paperback. The quality of writing is superb and it is eminently practical.

I agree about the fancy wet flies of North America. Between ourselves, here is a summary of an article I wrote for "Lineas y Moscas". http://overmywaders.com/cblog/index.php ... t-Fly.html and part two http://overmywaders.com/cblog/index.php ... t-Two.html. It is probably better in Spanish.

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Wonderful stuff in the article, Reed. Eric Austin is a good friend of mine. We've done a lot of online conversing, although not of late. We met at the Clearwater Junction Tying get-together in Roscoe, We hit it off immediately. I'll have to see if I can find McClane's book. Have you read Larry Koller's Taking Larger Trout? Also a great read.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am

Soft-hackle wrote:I've read both of Bergman's books.
He wrote more than two: Trout, With Fly, Plug and Bait, Just Fishing, Freshwater Bass, ... The first three of those (at least) have Dr Burke plates.
Bob
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:44 am

There were some fine angling authors during the 1940's-60's. We had Joe Brooks, Blaisdell, Bates, Bergman - that is just the "B"s from memory. And these weren't simply "How-to" writers; for example, "The Philosophical Fisherman" by Blaisdell is practical, but also illuminating on why we fish. Fishing was emphasized; catching was nice, but most of these writers would teach through their mistakes as well. This was before Gingrich and the golf-score counter.

Yes, Eric Austin is a good lad. He was my supplier for my "too nice to get wet" wet flies. I will look for the Koller book.

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am

Bob,
You're right! I believe I read all except the one on bass. Gosh, those books passed by my eyes a long time ago. I have a copy of TROUT, my favorite. It was THE BOOK for many years.

Reed,
Koller was in the same era as Bergman, I believe. He also wrote for one of the outdoor periodicals, which I can't remember right now. His other famous book was Shots at Whitetails. Koller's book on trout is very good.

Mark

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Partridge/Orange
Tups Indispensible
Snipe/Purple
Pheasant Tail
Grouse/Orange

I put a thorax on most of my soft hackles if the pattern doesn't already call for one.