Journals

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Journals

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:24 am

Do you keep a journal? I use to be totally dedicated to keeping an informal account of my fly fishing. Now I only keep track if I am floating the rivers.

Here is one of the last wade fishing entrys. It was written on January 31, 2010...

" Pan (70cfs), Fork (250cfs), and Colorado @ Canyon Creek (1200 cfs).
Bob and I fished the Pan at sunup till 9AM. Threw Buggers and caught about a doz fish between us. Bob had a Toad snap him off.
Fished the Fork below Baetis, and at two stumps from 9 till noon. We both caught alot of fish on eggs and Olive Hares ears.
Fished hooks bridge from noon to 12:30 to 1PM. We caught three trout there.
Fished Burry Lease from 1;30 till 4. I hammered the fish on the opposite shore. I caught maybe 15 fish in the slack water. 19inch Bow was the biggest. Out of the 15 two were whiteys, and the smallest trout was 14 inches. Yellow egg and Muskrat were the hot patterns there.
Fished Canyon Creek for a half hour and caught nothing but moss. I need to tie some patterns with treble hooks as I believe I could atleast double the amount of moss caught.

I had a blast with Bob. He stayed the night and we drank beer. I am hungover now. "expletive" this fishing report, i need to go puke now."
Otter

Re: Journals

Post by Otter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 am

DUBBN wrote:.

I had a blast with Bob. He stayed the night and we drank beer. I am hungover now. "expletive" this fishing report, i need to go puke now."
I think we can feel yer pain :D :D
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 am

I journel for several reasons: To account for my obsession. To track how many days I fish or spend on the water. Detail drawings of flies I believe are original. Detail hatches so I look good to clients. Which leads me to my last reason. It feeds my ego when I read how well I've done BECAUSE I hate looking at the skunk days. No really, the skunk days are as important as the information on the catch days. My j's also detail back road directions as well as "dream locals" I've had to whisper about. CFS, weather, vegetation, all of it adds to the experience and memories. I also wrote about Willowhead departing and my plans to plant. The only way to keep memories alive.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I kind of chuckled to myself when I read my last wading journal. I had forgotten that we partook of a few too many brews. I dont really have a good reason why I only write down float fishing stats now. Even they are not as detailed as I use to write. Now I mainly concern myself with flows, and weather.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 pm

I do not keep a journal, but I carry my camera with me every time I go out. I take LOTS of pictures. The pictures help me remember each trip. If the fishing is good, there are loads of fish pictures, if not I may be chasing bugs around, photographing interesting critters, mushrooms, or any other thing that catches my eye along the way...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Ray, Howdy;

mmmmmmmmm 'shurooms........ :shock: oooops, wrong forum....
Sorry. Continue on.....
;)
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Here Hank, just for you! :lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Oh yea, I keep a journal. It have records of bugs, temps, water and air and what flies were used and how. Sometimes I'll log thoughts of what should have been done better etc etc. It's a good thing to do in our little world of fly-fishing for sure, plus rereading it at a later date is always fun and brings a smile.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Wow Smuggler. Notes on what you think you could have done better. Thats a great idea. It never occured to me to try that. Thanks!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 am

I used to keep a detailed journal and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why I stopped, maybe the last few entries just read "skunked" and I put it away. But I would like to add another to my bag. The camera is the thing now. I need to get one to carry with me. Somehow I thought it would spoil the experience, but I would love to be able to look back.

Cool thread.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com