Hardy Featherweight reel

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Hardy Featherweight reel

Post by kanutripr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 pm

My new (new to me :D ) reel showed up today. She's a beauty. Decent shape, nice and tight, no wobble. I can't wait to go fishing!!

I have a couple of questions and I hope someone here knows a little about vintage Hardys. My dad used to have Hardys but I can't remember them as well as I should. Should the finish on the spool be matte? Reason I'm asking is as I was cleaning the back of the spool it seems there's some shine so I'm wondering if some of the finish is coming off or if the metal is just oxidized and should be shiny. Second question, it's right hand retrieve and before I start to monkey with it I want to know if I can change it to left hand retrieve. It looks like I can but before I create issues I figured I should ask. :D

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
overmywaders

Re: Hardy Featherweight reel

Post by overmywaders » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Vicki,

A friend of mine sells new Hardy's and is a great fellow, so you could ask him. It is Olaf at http://www.silkflylines.com
However, you can see how to reverse the pawls here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmDeha0lsp4
Be sure to switch the line guard as well.

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Good for you, Vicki. I've looked at those very reels several times, opting to postpone the purchases. Someday...

This will make a nice pairing with your grass rods.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm

I cant wait to see a picture of the entire set up. Maybe add a brace of wet flies, and a Brook Trout? :)
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I have been fortunate enough to purchase a 9 or ten Hardy reels with spare spools. Vicki you will enjoy fishing with this reel, most likely you'll want more or at least a spare spool.
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 pm

I still drool every time I see an old Hardy Perfect 3 1/8" left hand retrieve. Obviously, if I should ever own one, I would need to wear a bib or corrode the reel.
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 pm

The bit of finish that has worn off is fairly normal for a reel of this vintage (Circa 1976. Two screw line guard, un-covered latch, blue case). Reels at this time were finished with an enamel paint that can chip and wear off.
The reel can be reversed quite easily. First, take the tension off the check springs. From the picture, it looks like the check is at full drag. On Hardy reels of this type turn the check knob clockwise to loosen the drag and counter-clockwise to tighten it. Seems counter-intuitive but that's how it works. Then just reverse the position of the pawls (the pie slice looking parts). Finally, remove and reverse the line gaurd. Should only take a minute. Make sure to put a little oil on the spindle, pawl studs, and check screw!
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

I have one of those that I bought back in'78 or '79, reely love the click sound. Only reel I know that makes a better sound is a Heddon 125 Imperial.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for the answers everyone. And thanks Reed for that link.

I probably should have just bought one of the new Hardys. The price was pretty much the same but the character of the older reel was just too irresistable! I was cleaning the spool with dish detergent and warm water and more of the flat silver just washed off making the rag a dirty grey. Not like paint coming off, just a dirty grey. I guess I will just keep cleaning it and see how it comes out. I can't wait to throw her on one of the canes and tease some some brookies. She is pretty sweet, not perfect but sweet regardless. I will be looking for some spare spools. Anyway the memories of my dad will be worth it. He loved his Hardys! :D
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Vicki, Howdy;

I don't know a hardy from muffin pan..

If the spool is made from Aluminum, what you may be seeing is indeed oxidation
or more corsely known as corrosion. if it is comming off nice and easy like with just
the warm water and soap then stay at it. You always want to use the mildest means
possiable to remove it. When it is all cleaned off a light coat of car wax will help
protect it from the elements. keep it clean and dry and it will keep you happy.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin