The Color Orange

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NJpatbee

The Color Orange

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I have been tying and fishing several patterns that rely on the color orange and have had some good success. A good example are some of my Sulphur patterns, both dun and spinner, which appear to be a good match for some of the orange tinted sulphurs that I sometimes run across. What I have cannot reconcile is why a simple pattern like a thoraxed partridge and orange soft-hackle is so effective when there is nothing visible to the eye that resembles orange. This past weekend on a wild trout stream there were a few trout rising, and what I saw were some grey caddis, lots of small midges, and a few smallish grey mayflies (blue quill type). I tried a small grey fluttering caddis but the trout refused and appeared to be taking emergers, so I switched to a soft-hackle wet, and instinctively chose the partridge and orange. I have fished this pattern for over 35 years in similar situations, and without fail the trout were all over it. Just for fun I switched to a snipe and purple and the action ended. I put back the partridge and orange and the action re-started.

Now, not that this is a real problem, but the simple orange soft-hackle has been outstanding dozens of times in the early-mid Spring when there was nothing orange to be found. I have been researching how trout see color (cones and rods, etc....zzzzzzzz) but have not found an understandable answer to my question: What color does the human color orange appear to a trout?
Roadkill

Re: The Color Orange

Post by Roadkill » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Sometimes orange works as an attractor pattern rather than imitating anything specific in the water as can yellow at midday. I fish a fat orange soft hackle tied with many layers of depth ray nylon floss at times in the high lakes when nothing else seeems to work. It often outfishes a standard P&O at that time. ;)
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:54 am

Very interesting. However you did not say what type of thread you are using.
For example, if it is pre-waxed then the colour will only slightly change due to water saturation. However, if you use an unwaxed thread, especially silk, then two things will occur - 1) the thread becomes darker as is gets wet, it takes on a brown/reddish ambience, and 2) it becomes translucent.
I recall looking at a picture of the stomach contents of a trout which included at least 10 different insect types. I could not help but be struck by how much orange colour there was once all of the debris had been removed.
If I had to choose three colours of silk they would have to be yellow, orange and purple. How coincidental is it that the three best spiders use these three colours.
While I too have read all about colour cones etc, I still do not believe we really understand what a fish sees when you consider light, water colour, shades etc etc. The variables are many.
Orange works and it works right throughout the season.
Philip
BTW, I do not wax any of my silk threads.
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

For the Partridge and Orange in question I used Uni Floss for the body with an orange silk underbody, hare's ear thorax, and brown partridge hackle. Thanks for the input.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

STill a good pattern. It will work anywhere.
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 pm

Gary LaFontaine reportedly wrote that when bugs are hatching there is a distinct orange glow observed at the moment or transformation. It does not last very long, but he did observe it. I believe it is in his Dry Fly book. I have not first hand knowledge of it as I have not read it , it was explained to me by a guide. Apparently this guide would put a wrap of orange hackle on his cripple emerges. I do know the guide was a fish getter.
Jim
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 am

Orange really does work.

Optically, orange is an interesting color. When we look at something orange on our monitor it is actually a mixture of Red and Green - because our monitors have red, green, and blue pixels. In equal proportions Red (R) and Green (G) make yellow. Add more R and you have Orange (O). Similarly, the cones of trout (ignoring the UV cones for this discussion) are R, G, and B (also called long-wave, mid-wave, and short-wave). A strong O is R -255, G -170, B - 0 on your monitor.

So, the O is a mix of R and G. R doesn't penetrate clouds or water very well. On a sunny day, in a fast-flowing, moderately clear stream at midday, the R will be reduced by 60% in the first meter depth. That means that at one meter, with 60% of the R gone, the remaining G and R will now appear Yellow (Y); just as a Y fly will appear G at that same depth and conditions. If it is a cloudy day, or near sunrise or sunset, or with lots of detritus in the water, the O fly will be Y at less depth.

Considering the above and that R and G cones are far more numerous in trout retinas than B, O will provide a very high stimulation of the trout's optic nerves when fished near the surface and in sunny conditions. Even on dark days or muddy water, you still have a Y or G fly (green is still green for quite a depth).

As fishermen we have unconsciously, over the centuries, put Orange in many of our best flies. Note the prevalence of Golden Pheasant Tippet and floss highlights in Atlantic salmon flies, early trout and bass flies, etc.

-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 am

Reed,
That is one of the simplest explanations I have come across. Now I need to really digest it as then use that information on a few patterns I have in mind.
I would just love to hear your views on Purple.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:00 am

Now I have just thought about this a bit more.
One of the really effective patterns on the spate streams I fish is the Red and Waterhen. As the river fine off after a spate and they remain 'beery' in colour, that pattern out fishes anything with yellow in it and an Orange & Partridge is close behind.
Now I really have to study this.
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 am

Reed - That was an explanation that I could understand! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.