Spring in Holland

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ruard

Spring in Holland

Post by Ruard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Today I was off from my work. The sun was shining most part of the morning. I want to try the polypropylene line. That was not a big succes on my still water. Fishing with two spiders I manage to catch some little Rudd.

The sun was away and it was cloudy but warm

In the car was my #3 that I had build last winter, that was a better option. Again I knotted two spiders on my leader: a Stewart black spider and a Holospider:

http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... p?f=6&t=56

A bream took the Black Spider and also some Rudd. I bit later a Snook came on the Holospider, it was not too big but my 12/100 was too thin.

Later I catched a doublet of Roach and Rudd:

It was a nice afternoon in the spring
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Re: Spring in Holland

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm

RUARD,
I WAS PLEASED TO SEE YOUR PICTURES THAT YOU POSTED ON THIS FORUM. I WAS MOST INTERESTED IN THE PICTURE OF THE TWO FISH (ROACH AND RUDD?) ON THE GRASS ALONG WITH YOUR ROD. THAT PICTURE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN MY BACK YARD HERE IN THE UNITED STATES. WHY YOU ASK? I CAN IDENTIFY AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLANTS AND GRASSES THAT ARE VERY COMMON WHERE I'M AT. CLOVER, ORCHARD GRASS, BUCK PLANTON, ETC. SPRING IN HOLLAND MUST BE A WONDERFUL TIME. IT REALLY IS A SMALL WORLD MADE THAT WAY BY THE INTERNET AND REALLY GOOD PHOTOGRAPHERS LIKE YOU! THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL "AT HOME" AT YOUR HOME.
WHEN YOU MENTIONED BREAM.....IN THE NORTHERN U.S., THEY ARE CALLED BLUEGILLS. IN THE SOUTHERN STATES, THEY ARE CALLED BREAM. DO YOU HAVE BLUEGILLS IN HOLLAND?
BLUEGILLS HAPPEN TO BE MY FAVORITE ON THE FLYROD BECAUSE OF THEIR WILLINGNESS TO TAKE FLIES FROM RIGHT AFTER ICE OUT TO DECEMBER. I HAVE CAUGHT THEM 12 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR PROVIDING THE ICE STAYS AWAY!
AGAIN, THANKS FOR SHARING AND HERE'S TO WARMER WEATHER....EVERYWHERE!
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Lovely pictures and beautiful rod, Ruard. I wish I could have been fishing along side you, instead of being at work all day. Holland is a lovely country, especially in spring time. I have traveled through Holland by car couple times over the years, but never had a chance to fish. At least I get to look at your photos and imagine what it would be like. Thank you for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:21 am

DOUGSDEN wrote:RUARD,
SPRING IN HOLLAND MUST BE A WONDERFUL TIME. IT REALLY IS A SMALL WORLD MADE THAT WAY BY THE INTERNET AND REALLY GOOD PHOTOGRAPHERS LIKE YOU! THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL "AT HOME" AT YOUR HOME.
WHEN YOU MENTIONED BREAM.....IN THE NORTHERN U.S., THEY ARE CALLED BLUEGILLS. IN THE SOUTHERN STATES, THEY ARE CALLED BREAM. DO YOU HAVE BLUEGILLS IN HOLLAND?
DOUGSDEN
Hi Dougsden, I have the latin names for you: Roach=Rutilus rutilus, Rudd=Scardinius erythrophthalmus ( this kind goes readily to a Fly in summer also to a dry fly. With this fish the flyfishing in Holland starts in about 1950) Bream=Abramis brama and this kind is not easy to catch here in Holland.
letumgo wrote:Lovely pictures and beautiful rod, Ruard. I wish I could have been fishing along side you, instead of being at work all day. Holland is a lovely country, especially in spring time. I have traveled through Holland by car couple times over the years, but never had a chance to fish. At least I get to look at your photos and imagine what it would be like. Thank you for sharing.

Pitty that we did not met when you was here, could have fished together in the Schermer where I fished yesterday.

Thanks for the kind words both of you.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote:RUARD,
The fish called "bream" in Europe isn't even closely related to the bluegill. It's just another example of our early settlers naming animals and plants after something familiar from the old country. (Or from whichever part of this country they came from -- walleyes are called pickerel in some areas.)
Bob