sinking lines

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

5feathers

sinking lines

Post by 5feathers » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 am

I don't remember if we covered this before but does anyone use intermediate sinking lines to get their wets down in the water column?
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: sinking lines

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi,
We have not really talked about it, but I have posted about my use of a full sinking line in the early spring when the water is higher and faster OR when I want the fly to get deeper. I prefer using this rather than adding weight to my flies.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 pm

I was on a web site of a local outfitter that fishes only wet flies. They teach it, produce instructional videos and hold seminars. They use only an intermediate sinking line with no weight on the leader or flies. They believe this is the easiest and the best method for fishing wet flies. I don't know because I have no experience with sinking lines.
flytyer5860

Post by flytyer5860 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 pm

5feathers, what website is the outfitters? I'm curious because a few of us in our fly club loves fishing SH's and the majority of our trout fishing is in a very strong
tailwater river. The more information the better to enjoy our passion. Thanks, Barry.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:54 am

I just want to clarify my use of the sinking line. I use it, mostly, in the spring when the water can be somewhat high and fast. I feel it works well for wet fly fishing under these conditions. As the water gets lower and slower, this line is put away and my floating line is used. I don't really think full sinking line is useful under normal conditions on my river. Instead, casting up river to give the fly more time to sink using the floating line, works. On some rivers of heavy flow, it might be better to use a sinking line, and perhaps, under certain conditions and for certain techniques, sink tip lines might be more appropriate.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
WebbyFeathers

Post by WebbyFeathers » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:32 am

flytyer5860 wrote:5feathers, what website is the outfitters? I'm curious because a few of us in our fly club loves fishing SH's and the majority of our trout fishing is in a very strong
tailwater river. The more information the better to enjoy our passion. Thanks, Barry.

I can't say this is the site, but wetflywaterguides out of Johnstown, PA, use this sort of system. They fish a lot of the central PA streams. I believe their site is simply wetflywaterguides.com
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 pm

That's the site and those are the guys. Great guys, too.