10' Rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

idryfly

Re: 10' Rods

Post by idryfly » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:35 am

Love my Grey's 10' 3 wt but for a 4wt I went with the Hardy Marksman....maybe the best "plastic" rod I've fished in 40 plus years....ymmv
Regards,
Mike
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the help.

I think I'm going to pick up the Snowbee 3/4wt 10' rod, based in part on Ron's advice and in part on some of the reviews I've read elsewhere. The Greys rods are tough to source locally, but I've lined up a Snowbee for pick up next week for $225 CDN (which is equivalent or slightly better than the UK price). I'll add some comments here after I've caught a few cutthroat with it. If I really like it I might get a second one and sell off my Sage SP 390-5 (who really needs 6x3wts anyway LOL!).

Aaron
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

You'll love the SnowBee rod. I have the 5/6 weight. I fished it out West and it fished nymphs and dries equally well. I also fished the Grey's 5 weight and fell in love with that blank,too. Like I said, I planning o buying one of those in addition to my SnowBee. I feel guilt about spending the money but you can't have too many rods. Ha! Ha!
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 pm

I tried out the Hardy Marksman Drifter, an excellent.wet fly rod. It's 11 foot with a soft tip. Down side is the price of around $700 which of course is higher here in Canada. Wish I could just buy a blank.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/